SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldylocks_gw

Please help me id vicious vine --

Goldylocks
18 years ago

I posted a pic in the gallery section asking for your help to ID a vine that virtually assaulted me, and was advised to try posting it here. The mean vine has seven leaflets, toothed, with a stem that is reddish in parts, slightly hairy, and (its most distinctive feature) very sticky. I planted it innocently in several places after it sprouted nicely in a wintersown container labeled clematis ---- well, not! In one border it grew at least 30 feet and when I pulled it up, my hand and arm were lacerated by the stem glue ripping off strips and flesh and drawing blood. It didn't seem THAT sticky touching it but apparently where it dragged across my skin it latched tight. I fairly certain it is not Virgina creeper because I am told that VC is not sticky and it doesn't look like the VC pix I have examined. Also sure it is not poison ivy. Doesn't look like it and didn't cause any allergic reaction even though I have reacted to PI in the past. Just feel a great need to know my foe, so I would really appreciatee any help!

Thanks a lot, Leslie

Image link:

Comments (9)