SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri_in_ny

Raccoon charged me!

cheri_in_ny
14 years ago

Yesterday, as I was going about my daily ritual of sitting on the back porch and watching the birds at the feeder 25 feet from me, I happened to notice that the oriole feeder had been emptied and the hummer feeder was lower than it should have been. I really didn't think too much of it because the wind had been blowing quite hard and I just figured it had somehow gotten dumped out.

I went out and got them both and returned to the house to refill them. As I was going back out, I noticed a very large female raccoon trying to climb up the holder to get to the other hummer feeder. I yelled at it to go and it didn't even look up from what it was doing so I banged an old broom handle on the rail of the porch. Still no luck. Mind you, this is taking place at 8 am in full daylight. I came back in the house and loaded a 22 rifle knowing I would not be able to shoot the raccoon to kill it, but I wanted to scare it away and shot into the air. It ran fast getting away and I stood there for a good 20 minutes just to make sure that it wasn't coming back.

Here's the clincher. I went in and poured myself another cup of coffee and took it out to resume sitting on the porch to watch the birds. About ten minutes after I sat down, I saw motion out of the corner of my eye and quickly looked in that direction to see this monster raccoon bearing down on me with growls and teeth bared! You can bet I got up so fast that coffee spilled everywhere but the cup hit the raccoon when it was just a foot and a half away from me, then I quickly ran inside the house! It left the porch and went back to its feast of BOSS and I tried to get my racing heart under control long enough to call 911. Since I wasn't hurt, they referred it to the State Police. We live in a very small village in northeastern NY and we are 5 miles out in the country with only 5 other people on this road. I have never seen a raccoon out here in the last year. It wasn't threatened or cornered, I was, when it came after me!

Long story short, there are now two Havahart traps in our backyard, courtesy of USDA and he comes around every morning to check them. She did show up again last night and got a few of the marshmallows that were left for bait and tripped the trap when only half way in so she got right back out and kept at the trap trying to get the rest of the marshmallows. Because she charged me, my fiance says he will shoot her on sight. He was asleep when she showed up last night. She never showed up this morning, but you can believe me when I say, I am scared to death of being outside by myself now. I even look under the porch now before I walk down the steps and I carry an old broom handle with me wherever I walk. Sad, but true. I don't feel safe outside alone now.

Hope someone can help me out with some ideas on how to get rid of this thing. We have a large garden area and I brought in both the BOSS feeders last night only leaving the finch feeder out and one hummer feeder.

Sorry this is so long, but I did want to explain it so you could all see what I was talking about.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz