SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrel_girl

Need research to support grassland conservation vs. maniac mower

squirrel_girl
17 years ago

We live in a subdivision with a committment to preserving nature. That committment is starting to waver. I need some data to keep it from disappearing along with grasslands, woods and pond habitat.

The subdivision has only a few houses right now and an otherwise great neighbor is successfully pressuring the development into mowing more and more of the grasslands.

I need DATA about the value of grasslands and what happens to the environment if you leave them alone vs. if you mow them. I'm interested most on the impact on birds, insects, and vegetation. I figure info on skunks, lettuce eating rabbits, woodchucks, and tree chewing mice might not make as much of an impression as sweet birdies, pretty butterflies, and lush plants. People seem to like the deer and foxes around here too.

I'm thrilled to be here and love watching the wildlife from my back porch. I've seen orioles, goldfinch, barn swallows, redwing blackbirds, woodpeckers, a cute red, white and black guy I have not identified, bluebirds, foxes, coyote, deer, turtles, bunnies, woodchucks, chipmunks, and other more common critters. I don't want the shared areas of grasslands cleared and I've got signs that chunks of the woods and pond edges are next on his hit list.

Does anyone have a site with good supported facts?

Comments (5)