SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
howden777

Squash guy having trouble with tomatoes for the first time...

howden777
13 years ago

Ok... I don't have any pictures, but hopefully I an describe this well enough for one of you veterans to help me out.

I started all heirloom tomatoes from seed this year, all from Seed Savers Exchange. I started them in a cold frame, and the little plants did great. I planted them in their permanent raised bed home when they were about 8 inches tall with 4 or 5 true leaves showing after danger of frost. They were growing great until two weeks ago. The leaves and stems started to get skinny... starting with the new leaves. The baby leaves were curly, but I thought it was just an "heirloom thing" having never grown them before. Now, all the leaves above the first three or four are spindly and curl upwards. There is no discoloration, or spots, or dead leaves. No fuzz, ooze, or other obvious ailments. They are still growing at a good pace... they are just pitiful looking. Another thing is the first flowers are frilly... (might be an heirloom thing).

So it is said, I compost horse manure and stall sweepings with my leaves and grass clippings. (which I do NOT spray with anything) I fertilize my raised beds with the compost and garden tone along with a few specific minerals and such. I have been growing all my vegetables this way at my house for at least 5 years. This is a first. I rotate my crops around properly among five large raised beds spread out over my back yard and this is the first time that I have grown tomatoes in this particular bed. The onions and peppers in this same bed look great. Any ideas???? I hope someone can tell me what is going on. I fear cucumber mosaic or maybe herbicide damage from the horse stall sweepings. UGH!!

Comments (2)