SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_9b

First time gardener w/?'s (Zucchini/Squash overcrowding)

katie_9b
13 years ago

Hello, I am in need of input & advice concerning my feeble attempt at a veggie garden ;)

I've overcrowded my zucchini & squash plants. Now i'm not exactly sure what i need to do to rectify the problem. I made two mounds in a section of my garden, and planted 5 seeds in each, they sprouted... but didnt survive so i pulled them out and replanted a bit more in each mound... my second try went better and the plants started growing. I know i was supposed to thin the seedlings but didn't because i was told i should just let them be... the stronger plants would survive and the weak ones wouldn't.... and there shouldn't be any problems. Now i'm thinking i really need to get rid of some of the plants as they're not looking to great,lol! I have 7 zucchini plants growing in the 1st mound and 5 yellow squash in the second, both mounds are right next to each other in a space of about 2x4 feet. From what i've been reading it says i shouldn't pull the plants out but cut them down instead? How many to i have to get rid of to give them a fighting chance?

Comments (3)