SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithnoskill

Need help with dead zucchini, squash, melon plants in Central FL

Note: I posted this in the vegetable gardening forum, but someone over there said I'd have more luck talking to fellow FL gardeners so I should post it here....

My first garden was last summer. I planted tomatoes, all sorts of squashes and peanuts. All the squashes died instantly - the zucchini, yellow squash, watermelon, cucumber, etc. I bought seedlings from the garden center and within 10 days, all were dead.

This time I bought seeds and decided to do my own seedlings. I grew the seedlings on the patio in little pots so I didn't have hardening off issues. I'm in zone 9B in Central FL. We have very sandy soil, but the Ph is good and we mixed in old manure over a month ago.

My tomatoes are doing great.

My corn looks fine.

The radishes look good.

My leeks look great.

I planted my zucchini and watermelon seedlings and the SAME THING HAPPENED! All dead within 10 days. What on earth is going on?

If you want to see before and after pics, I have them here on my gardening blog -

http://gardeningwithoutskills.blogspot.com/2009/04/gardening-sos-is-there-master-gardener.html

This isn't some pathetic ploy to get blog readers - LOL - I just really want some advice. All the pics are 800 pixels wide, so a bit much for this forum, but they're smaller on my blog if you want to see them.

Any ideas? Anyone? I have a handful of more seedlings ready to transplant into my garden but I'm hesitant to move them in until I realize what I'm doing wrong to cause this quick plant death with these types of plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to see my before and after pics of my dead plants

Comments (6)