SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krodammi

First time gardener, project: tomatos HELP!!

krodammi
13 years ago

Hello all,

I am a first time gardener, and I LOVE to eat tomatos so this year I am attempting to grow them :) I live in an apartment so I bought one of those hanging tomato pots that come with seed and soil. At first my little seeds were growing and I was so excited only to have my hopes dashed when I came home from work to find my cat had eaten them :*(

Not wanting to give up, I went to the store and bought a Bonnie plant (a Patio Container Tomato) that already had a little green tomato and some Miracle Grow potting mix. I planted and watered away until some was dripping out of the drainage hole. I realize now that I was probably drowning the poor thing.

You guys seem really knowledgable so if I could get some help that would be awesome!

Problem 1: I have flies everywhere!!! They are even following me inside.

Problem 2: Some of the leaves look black at the tips.

Problem 3: I have a few more baby tomatos and some yellow flowers that aren't growing tomatos yet, but I went to try and gently tap the flowers (self-polinating??) and some fell off!

I was planning a trip to the Home Depot this weekend and could really use all the tips and help I can get!

Comments (3)