SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
romandub_gw

Follow-up questions from a newbie....

romandub
15 years ago

With much help and great advice from this board, we put in a landscape at our weekend place about 100 miles NW of Austin. We used all native(or adapted) and drought tolerant plants. Since we are only here on the weekends, we were a little worried about how the landscape would work, at least while it was getting established, but so far so good! However, we have run into a few issues/glitches, and I need more advice:

1. I thought I had planted only deer resistant plants, but apparently I didn't. The deer are finding the African bulbine and Black-eyed Susans quite tasty. They leave everything else alone, but they are trampling the other plants while munching on the two they like. At the local general store, they sell a deer repellent that is supposed to be very effective. You spray it on the plants and around the border of your bed. The only problem is, it apparently smells AWFUL. Has anyone tried this product? Does it work? Is it really as smelly as they say? How long does the smell last?

2. The only types of mulch they sell out here is cypress, hard cedar and Earthgro Natural Mulch (made by Scott's). I don't want to use cypress, but does anyone know anything about the Earthgro product? I can't find what it is made of?

3. My butterfly bushes have dead blooms. SHould I cut off the blooms or leave them on. Same question about other flowering plants, like milkweed and African bulbine. Should I dead-head those?

Sorry for the myriad of misc. questions, but this is the best place I know to turn for help and you all are always so great!

Thank you!

Comments (2)