SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinvirginia

BER - any chemists with thoughts on reacting lime with vinegar?

aliceinvirginia
14 years ago

I've got Romas in self-watering containers with blossom end rot. Apparently they still got soaked by rain overhead and then I let them dry out too much. I've also been haphazard with mixing potting soil and they might have the wrong fertilizer.

I tried researching whether you could somehow use garden lime and make it more available. Unfortunately it's been 18 years since I took a chemistry class and don't quite understand it.

What I came up with was that acetic acid (which is the acid in vinegar) would react with garden lime (mostly calcium carbonate) to produce carbonic acid and calcium acetate.

The carbonic acid is just like the sodas you drink and carbon dioxide bubbles out and you are left with water. The calcium acetate is considerably more soluble than calcium carbonate.

Supposedly calcium acetate is more soluble in lower temperatures, which is different than other ones.

However, calcium acetate also binds phosphorous. So I don't know if I'd need to add a phosphorous fertilizer or if I did, if the byproduct of those would then be insoluble again.

And I don't know what proportions to use of vinegar/lime to totally neutralize each other, or what concentration to use on the plants.

So right now I am just going to experiment. May kill the Roma's that already have BER for all I know. I've been mixing vinegar and lime in a glass bowl with extra water. Stirring with a wire whisk and seeing how many bubbles are produced. Then I think I'm going to try stirring well then straining either with a flour sack or with a coffee filter.

Probably a better way to do this would be to contact someone I know who works as a chemistry teacher and ask them to give this out as an extra credit problem. But they wouldn't understand the agricultural needs.

Alice

Comments (8)