SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19698634

Salt buildup: thoughts and questions

User
18 years ago

On the other thread, the issue of salt buildup was raised. I brought up the fact that containerized citrus are vulnerable to buildup of salts in the growing medium. These might be salts of potassium, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, or others. It could be the result of hard water or applications of fertilizer in ratios that the plant is not capable of taking up. One remedy for this that is practiced by the greenhouse citrus folks is soil flushing...watering 4 times the container volume about 3-4 times a year to flush the soluble salts out of the growing medium.

This issue in my mind is perhaps more important to greenhouse growers than to other gardeners. Outside, rain periodically flushes the soil naturally. Obviously this cannot occur in a GH. The savvy GH grower can collect and use rainwater and seemingly reduce the chances of buildup of some salts in the GH growing media.

Chris raised an interesting point. Chris said that salt buildup with lettuce wouldn't be a problem since lettuce presumably because there wouldn't be much time for salt buildup in the plant.

Here's my question: couldn't there still be gradual salt buildup in the soil? Couldn't a growing medium, whether it is in-ground beds or containers, accumulate a high percentage of soluble salts over a period of time, and thus impair growth, even of lettuce? And if this is the case, wouldn't even in-ground beds benefit from flushing now and then?

Finally, is this a real problem for any plants besides citrus?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and experiences.

SB

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville