SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

springtime notes(can't call it winter here)

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Our temps have been in the 60s again lately, which as usual is really enjoyable to be out in, but who knows what kind of intricate natural rhythms are getting screwed up as a result.

The tips of the sassafras are greening, with buds swelling as well. While there is just enough cold to leave a thin skin of ice on standing water, it's usually gone by mid morning. I have spotted several water striders out and about, as well as a few larger crawdads meandering about the shallows. Still too early for the big rush of egg-bearing females but they would get fooled too if it stayed this warm for a month or so. Oh and snakes! The count is up to three road-kills: a larger rat snake, a small northern water snake which got flattened crossing the road between ditches, and a garter. This is January, our typically coldest month. I have not kept exact numbers but I am pretty sure that the number of days over 60 degrees has got to be somewhere around 7 or 8, and they are not all lumped together during one freaky warm spell but instead spread out over the entire month. At one point there, my 10-day forecast had every day at or above 50 degrees and not a single nighttime temp below freezing. I think I saw one night at 34 and that was it.

And the biggie: yesterday I spotted an eagle out over the reclaimed strip mine lakes north of here. This is exciting since they are still in the process of repopulating this area. A pair had a nest just to the west of my parent's house the last few years and I was hoping something similar would happen here since we have the lakes. BUT for some unknown reason the DNR took out the few lone oaks that dotted the areas around the water. There were only three or four mature trees anywhere around this old mine area and these would have been perfect for ospreys and eagles to perch on after snagging a fish. Now there is nothing and I wonder what they will do. I saw an osprey actually catch a large fish last year. I couldn't help but whoop and holler like a complete idiot at the time...firstly, you don't just casually glance up and see your first local osprey hovering overhead taking YOU in and not have a visceral reaction. Unless you don't give a rip about nature in general and in which case you won't be here reading this anyway....ANd then as if to add an exclamation point to the whole experience it actually plunged into the water and caught a fish. Right there. But as soon as it had its catch I began wondering where it would go to eat it now that the trees were gone. I never did see it land, it just headed due north. Maybe they will go to ground if nothing else is close??

And since both are fish lovers I do wonder how the eagle and the osprey will get along....

That's it (and plenty of it) for now

dg

Comments (4)