SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxpiper

Crape myrtles and super-wet clay soil?

Roxanne
17 years ago

Our builders planted two maple (??) trees in front of our house right before we moved in. One repeatedly threatened to croak and finally did within three months. The other one hung on for another year before it croaked as well. We assumed that they weren't getting enough water since the irrigation system doesn't pump out a lot of water near them. HA -- was I ever wrong.

Today I dug up both trees (an arduous task at nearly 6 months pregnant), and removed the stumps. I was quite surprised to discover that (1) our soil is almost entirely clay and (2) there was standing water after digging down just 18 inches or so. The soil around the trees had been heavily augmented with non-clay soil and very small gravel.

I was hoping to plant Crape Myrtles in these positions,so here are my questions. . will they do OK in such boggy conditions? Is there anything I can do to the soil to make them happier? Should I dig each hole wider and deeper so their roots can become more established before they hit the clay wall?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

Roxanne

P.S. I'm 99% sure that the waterlogged condition is caused by the lack of a drainage system for our house. The small "sideyards" of our home have a good 3" of water during a good rain because all the water from our large house is concentrated into such a small area. We have no gutters and no drains, but desperately need both and will likely have them installed within the next month or so. . .I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

Comments (7)