SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humbll

Vermicomposting Human Waste

9 years ago

Hello,

I saw a video a number of years ago on the internet where a woman was showing her families system of human waste management. It was quite elementary, they would go to the bathroom in a 5 gallon bucket, and when it was full they would bring it out back where she had a number of 5 gallon buckets lined up in a row, she would open the last one and shovel out a scoop of vermicompost (with worms in it?) and inoculate the new bucket with it by dumping it on top. I cannot for the life of me find the video now, and I cannot remember what was added to the 5 gal bucket as they were using it. such as sawdust....

Basically she had about 2 dozen of these 5 gallon buckets lined up out there, and she said they let them sit for a year or 2 by which time the worms had converted the humanure into rich, black vermicompost. They would take the finished bucket and spread the stuff all around non edible plants and trees. I recall the buckets had holes in the bottom for drainage of urine and to allow the worms to come and go.

If any of you have seen this video and know where to find it please post a link to it so I can bookmark it.

Thanks!

EDIT: Found the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBZwOqLJvBA

This post was edited by humbll on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 8:39

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer