SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
protea_king

Vermicomposting garden waste esp. leaves

13 years ago

Now I know there is usually an excess of this and therefore too much for the average worm farmer to give to his/her worms to process, but I was wondering about leaves specifically. In all the 'what have you fed your worms today' type threads most people seem to feed kitchen scraps and maybe a bit of composted manure or leaves. I'd like to know what kinds of leaves, maybe like a checklist of plant species which have leaves that can be safely fed to worms. Is it true that leaves of fragrant species like lavender, bay, and many other herbs, etc. should not be fed to worms? I suppose eucalyptus is also not a good idea. Is there a simple test one could do to make sure you aren't feeding the wrong types of leaves i.e. a smell or texture test?

My next Q is do these leaves really need to be at least partially composted before being added to your worm farm? Can't I just scoop up a load of recently fallen leaves and chuck them in? Surely in nature the worms start feeding on whatever lands on the mulch layer? Pulling it down into the soil and what have you.

I've recently added a bunch of soft green weeds to my worm farm, things like dandelion and vetch, highly nitrogenous material to test whether they like it.

I love testing using my own experiments, which is how I learn most of my experience, but the only worry I have is that I'll end up decimating my worm population by accident.

PK

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH