SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boukmn

Vermiculture vs. Composting..is there really an advantage?

Boukmn
10 years ago

I started to vermiculture three months back but I am really beginning to have doubts as to whether there is really an advantage over regular composing with a regularly turned compost bin.

These are the five reasons I am beginning to get skeptical:

1. Worms don't actually eat the plant material they eat the biota that actually do eat the plant material. My compost bin attracts a wide array of critters that actually do eat the waste and help break it down.

2. My experience here in Florida is my worm bin over heats in the summer forcing me to bring it inside where the fruit flies become a pain!

3. Worms help speed things up by turning and airing the bin...so does a regularly turned compost bin...outside...no fruit flies.

4. Worms create worm tea...compost creates compost tea. Is there really a nutritional difference?

5. Vermiculture seems to take much more room proportionally than a compost bin since you have to spread it out to keep it shallow. The opposite is true for composing.

I'd like to be convinced otherwise. What IS the quantifiable advantage of vermiculture over composting?

Comments (10)