SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_gw

They're Here...Newbie Setup Questions

kris
18 years ago

Hi all,

My worms have arrived. I read the book 'worms eat my garbage' early in the summer when I ordered the worms but my worms didn't arrive until now because of shipping in the Tx heat. So I have a few questions. I freaked when they arrived, though I knew they were comming and had bought everything until I remember reading Kelly's advice to chill out that worms often do fine dispite my best efforts.

Details of setup:

35 gal grey opaque plastic sterlite container from big lots (roughly 2'long x 1'wide x 1.5' high. I have shreaded (with electric shreader) and moistened newspaper and cedar chips (not more than 1/4 cedar as per Kelly's instructions earlier this year)-following the instructions in the worm book. I ordered (I believe) 1/2 lb of worms-they and their bedding weight 1lb 7oz but I believe thats bedding water etc. I plan to locate them outside in the shade-which is nice now that it's cooler and put them in the garage if/when it gets too cold outside. I would prefer not in the house because of my allergies.

1.) Grit: I need some I have a bag of play sand, texas green sand (glauconite), lava sand-which would be best does it matter at all? How much?

2.) Air holes, How big and how many? Do the airholes need to be covered with screen or fabric to prevent escape? Do I leave the lid on or off? If the lid is off (covered with fabric or something, are air holes still necessary?

3.) I read drainage holes are good but that it shouldn't drain so should I drill holes and cork em?

4.) Is their anything else I should know about setup, I read the book so I understand how to feed them and what not to do to them. I'll reread that section too. Is this an OK setup? Is it too small or too big, I found that confusing in the worm book.

I did raise night crawlers earlier this year so I'm OK with worms and they didn't croak on me-though they were in soil and not 'bedding'. I released them to the wild after a while, I think they are in my garden but ants got a few during the release.

Thank you all so much,

Kristi

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH