SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankberry_gw

tons of blueberries - they're just not turning blue

Frankberry
9 years ago

Hi,

This is my first time trying to grow anything! I've got Caroline and Heritage raspberries going an inch a day (too early for berries yet, obv.), and one each of Duke and Elliott blueberries which also look really healthy to my (inexperienced) eye: they've each got tons of berries, but they're showing no sign of turning blue, and I'm starting to worry that they'll just wither there and fall off. It's been a good month now for many of them.

Other than that, they seem fine.Lots of green shoots, new foliage, berries look plump, but not huge. They're in raised beds, I water most mornings (unless there's rain in the forecast). I got them from a well-regarded local nursery, and they already had some berries on them at the time. I think the plants are originally from Virginia, and in part I'm wondering whether they were "forced" in the southern climes, and perhaps put out fruit too early for the Boston-area spring that we've had. But they kept on fruiting after I brought them home.

They're in the sunniest part of my yard, which means they're getting about six hours of sun a day, but mostly early morning, and not much in the afternoon. We had a lot of trees on our property, which make it a really nice shady yard for people, but I'm wondering whether it's impacting the fruit.

I've searched the internet, including this forum, and drawn a blank. I'd appreciate any help you have to offer!

Comments (19)