SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rainidame

When I say 'All Drawers,' they're chuckling at me????

rainidame
18 years ago

Okay I am about to embark on a one woman kitchen remodel. I will be making everything including the lower cabinets because I want what I want and no one will make what I want at a price I can afford.

What do I want? Well that answer came about by asking myself what do I NOT want. . . don't want to bend over and have to reach to the back of the bottom cabs to get heavy, not often used items. I am getting older, and that movement is getting harder, not to mention it usually entails pretty much emptying the cab to get the item out. SO. . .

I am imagining pull out cabinets, sort of like the pull out shelves in newer pantries, only better. Instead of a shelf with short sides, it would be a box opening on one side, with a low shelf (where the drawer glide for this side would be attached), some vertical separations; allowing for a deck of drawers, cubbys and traditional shelf spaces.

I am imagining that this set up will give me an additional perk; the fact the the top of the pull out will be solid, I will have tons of pull out working spaces, bread boards, buffet settings, etc.

But when I did try to explain my design to a few cabinet makers to see if I should have them make them (but the cost was just way tooooooooo much), they laughed at my trying to do drawers by myself. . .real strong implications that making properly working drawers is MUCH harder than I imagine. But they won't elaborate in what way they are difficult. ARE THEY? Am I about to bite off too much?

I figured the most touchy aspect would be getting the perfect tilt and sychronicity of the pairs of guides. . . I figure a truly level glide/guide would be a problem because the drawer is supposed to have a tendency to want to be shut and therefore a 1-5 degree upward tilt would be required.

Also I figured that ordinary glides wouldn't cover my requirements, so I have found heavy duty commercial glides rated to 500#s.

Is there more? Is my idea truly laughable? OR are these cabinet makers just trying to scare me into purchasing the cabinet designs they already make? Or paying their exorbitant fees to make what I want?

Comments (37)

• Jon1270
    18 years ago

I love ambition and would be happy to look at your idea, but I just can't picture it from your description. Got a sketch?

• User
    18 years ago

Drawers are only difficult to make if you do not understand the squaring steps. A drawer is simply a box with no top or bottom---the bottom slides in place in a dado instead of being fastened to the sides.

The box has to be squared on two planes---top/bottom corner to top/bottom corner and upper to to lower bottom corners.

The joinery is a bit critical for what your propose---as the resulting unit will be heavy and since one whole 'drawer' side will be hinged, that means additional support for the rest of each 'drawer' case will need to be added.

Making the drawer bottoms 3/4" thick and an integral part of the box---instead of the traditional slide in 1/4" bottom pieces.

Actually building what you want---as a DIY project---will require a minimum of a table saw---at least a good contractor style($500-$1200) and better still a cabinet saw($900-$1500+?----or a sheet goods saw/straight edge guide and a contractor saw, a router/w table, clamps longer than the longest drawer dimension----lots of clamps will enable you to build many boxes at a time.

I would add inside corner gussets at each stationary corner---glued and screwed for minimum structural stability.

Use birch plywood----often the HD/Lowes stuff is sufficient.

Study a couple of books on cabinetry---there are lots of case frame requirements and those books will show how to do most of what you need.

Mistakes will happen---I do things like that as a part of my job---and usually add 10-20% to material lists----you can return extras.

Study first and decide if you want to tackle the work---if you want to, you can do it---eventually if not sooner. :)

• Related Discussions

They're cute when they're not eating your hostas!

Q

Comments (15)
    I still love the deer, they are so beautiful, especially the babies. We put up a deer fence along the woods and now they leave me alone. It is heartbreaking to go out and find your hostas mowed down, been there. Sometimes they are so smart, they come in through our driveway. What I did notice is they only bothered the old solid green junk hostas. Couldn't figure out why, then I thought maybe because all of my good hostas and roses get the Bayer 2 in 1 applied every 6 weeks or so. Maybe something in that makes them taste bad.
    ...See More

my listing agent says they're too busy to attend showings

Q

Comments (20)
    I think it's a regional thing. In Alabama, it's very unusual for the listing agent to be present. The Buyer's agent handles the whole showing. The exception could possibly be the upper bracket homes where the showing isn't even allowed unless there is some sort of a prequalification for the potential buyer. They want to keep the looki-lous out. As Graywings said, you can always list with another agent who says he/she will always be present at a showing. But then you're dealing with one other person when scheduling a showing. Many times showings are on short notice. If your listing agent is across town, in a closing, showing another house, at the dentist, etc., she simply can't drop everything to be at a quick showing for you. So you miss out on that showing for a buyer who might already be in the neighborhood looking at houses similar to yours. Maybe there is a real estate "team" in your area that could be closer to what you want (though still no guarantee). A husband-wife-daughter type of thing where they all work together on the same listings.
    ...See More

OT: Medium Wedgwood Blue Pots - someone says they're too bright?!

Q

Comments (10)
    Just got back from a circuitous journey, distracted in turn by Jacques Majorelle's currently rather unfashionable art, his father Louis's Art Nouveau furniture, and Yves Saint Laurent's 'Love' card series from the 1970s and 80s, as byways in my search for a good link to post here to the Majorelle Garden - only to find StillAnn had found the excellent one above... If a shade of blue could ever be described as hot, this would surely be it - it simply sizzles! I think, as Ingrid said, it's very much a matter of personal taste combined with how this colour works with the colours and degree of brightness of the surroundings, and the general ambience you wish to create... One possibility, if the colour of the pots does appears to 'shout' a bit too loudly, might be to connect it in with its surroundings by painting something else a little way away in the exact same shade - e.g. an archway/arbour, a little fence or gate, an obelisk/tuteur or some garden furniture; or perhaps create a little mosaic feature like a birdbath or edging for some steps (I'm sure you were longing for another crafty project!). Or, as some garden designers around here were doing a while back, simply by 'planting' a few painted posts and/or bunches of sticks as arty/funky vertical accents, in a little group or wavy line for example. Sorry I don't have a picture to illustrate. Love to see some photos, it sounds very pretty... Comtesse :¬)
    ...See More

Help with mudroom design...it seems like they're all too small!

Q

Comments (38)
    oh man Renee - yes welcome to the north! lol! I have more coats than my kids but I have work coats, and walking/running coats of varying weights, windjackets, snowblowing coat (old), lighter weight fleece coat, etc. I use them all weekly with the crazy weather around here and the different activities I do. Summertime which is a very short 3 months - it's a lot less congested but still more than one jacket with the weather swings. cevamal-I agree on double or triple hooks. I hate having to unload the hook to get to the coat on the bottom and I'm the Mom. My kids would just let it fall on the bench... We also have a place for our boot dryer to plug in and on any given day there are gloves sitting on the vent to dry out. I also like a side mudroom/closet because of all of the wet that melt off produces. We don't wear shoes in the house and when I walk down that hall I do not want to be walking in puddled water. The mudroom off of the hall solves that issue as well. The backpacks make their home in the mudroom, lunchboxes live there over the weekends and breaks or hot lunch days (so you are right they unload in the kitchen and stay their for re-packing for the next day). They take their binders out when they need to do homework. I do not want the backpacks sitting in the kitchen where I have to work around them. Homework is often done at island counter but whether it's the binder of the whole pack, back to the mudroom it goes when they are finished. It's all right in one spot when we are trying to get out the door in the morning. But that's just how we do it. I was tired of the kitchen clutter so when we built and incorporated a mudroom it all resides there where I don't have to step over and around it or work over and around it. But now instead of papers my kitchen counters hold electronic devices - go figure!
    ...See More
  • rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both, I will try to put up a sketch of what I am designing, I have month or so till I expect to start this. But the easiest way to describe it is, . . .take a standard drawer, really big drawer; turn it on its side, add a 2x slat from front to back of what was the top and is now the side (back stays back, front stays front), attach the glides using the slat on one side and what was the bottom but is now a side for the other. So when it is pulled out, one will have to step to one side of it to pick out what one wants. The other side would be solid, no hinges, doors, nothing. The "open" side would have shelves, cubbies, and perhaps some drawers.

I will be doing this no matter so . . . , have the table saw (Ryobi) plus three other quality power saws, have three 24" clamps and a dozen that use pipes (as long as I need) since I just pegged, glued, and clamped the wood countertop (see thread "Proper use of hand plane"), have laminate trimmer and plunge router. Tools are my friends and one reason I am doing this is to justify all my tools. :)

• User
    18 years ago

What model Ryobi saw?

The reason I ask this is from expereince. I once owned a BT3000---now the BT3100. This is actually a benchtop saw on legs. I did use it for cutting down plywood---but had another person helping and also had two roller stands---which regularly fell over. It is not a good saw for cutting large pieces of plywood.

The other Ryobi saws are plainly too small and light to attempt plywood---unless they are set in a table for outfeed and side support. The HfH chapter I did several years of volunteer work for tried using two different models on build sites with no success at all.

The danger is twofold---the saws move/tip easily---which means the plywood will jamb and tear up both the saw and the ply. The other danger is to the operator when the saw falls/moves.

However, using the circular saws to cut pieces to approximate size---and making the final trim to size cuts on the table saw will be the safest way to do what you need.

Study up and let us know how you do!!

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, I have Ryobi 3100, so far I have had no problem, but have not cut a large sheet, only the long purple heart for the countertops. So your idea of cutting roughly with my 51/4 circular saw would be good. . .

From my shop I have a table that is on wheels and is exactly the height of the saw table, 4'x6' and very stable, so I belly it up to the side the saw for weight support on wider pieces, off the back for long pieces.

If necessary, I can hire from the local temp agency to have another set of hands handy. But your idea of cutting rough first, should keep me from having pieces too large for me to handle within the constraints I have.

• tom999
    18 years ago

From your description it sounds like you are asking for a slide out shelf, which extends from the bottom of the cabinet to the top. You acess these from the sides rather than the front. Am I correct? May I ask why? It seems to me a sliding shelf that you can adjust in height, would be more useful, now and in the future. These sliding shelves can be adjusted in height as your needs change. Crock pots, large pans, etc, can all be stored in these "sliding shelves". If you use metal KV standards, you can use KV 1303 slide out shelves "blocks" to attach the drawer slides to. These will allow you to adjust the shelves every 1/2", they are strong, easy to use and allow the proper clearance for hinges or face frames.
    I agree with breaking down the large sheets into more managable sheets to run through your table saw.

• chiefneil
    18 years ago

Yup, it sounds like you're describing an oversized spice rack on steroids. Those work well on uppers, but on lowers I don't think it's going to help save you much bending over. I think either regular drawers or pullouts would be more practical.

Here's a photo of pullouts, which reside behind doors. You could make the sides higher and add dividers if you wanted.

And here's a photo of pot drawers. With full extension glides on these and the pullout shelves you'd have no problems reaching the way back sections.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tom999, I didn't know such thing existed, I have searched and see what the piece looks like and it might be an option, I will definitely see if I can find something in town that I can lay my hands and eyes on to see if will do as well as I hope.
    Thank you and yes, you seem to have gotten the gist of my idea. Even if I don't use your idea in its entirety, it has still nudged me into making sure any shelves I put in the lower cab should be adjustable.

Tom999 and chiefneil, the main reason I had imagined my design the way I did was because this way I am actually making few drawers and I felt that would be easier, plus as I mentioned earlier, it makes every section of the cabs useful as another worktop when pulled out.

It isn't the bending that bothers me, it is the diving into the far back recesses of lower cabs that drive me nuts; plus when trying to get to anything way down and back there, 2/3 of the stuff in the way has to be removed from the cab to get to the thing in the way back, then reloaded. THEN after using and washing the item, I have to go through it all again to put it away. In my imagination, this design will pull the "way back there" stuff to me and ALL I have to do is bend.

• Jon1270
    18 years ago

Okay, I get what you're describing now. I, too, think it may not be as good an idea as you imagine, but we're not talking about my kitchen. If you want something novel, more power to you.

However, your mention that "the drawer is supposed to have a tendency to want to be shut and therefore a 1-5 degree upward tilt would be required" tells me you aren't familiar with drawer glides and may not have ever built even a standard drawer before, which in turn tells me that you're probably getting in over your head. That said, why not go ahead and try building a prototype from some cheap materials? Even if you end up with a pile of scrap it will have been a good learning experience, and you won't have lost so much as if you'd tried doing a whole kitchen's worth of these off the bat.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tom999, I have looked at the specs on the glides you recommend and I am not comfortable with a 35# rating on drawers that might be holding things like cast iron pots and pans, but thanks for the idea.

Jon1270,my thought on the tilt was that in one of my houses some of my "custom built" (not like these will be custom built, but what contractors call custom built)drawers used to close then bounce back and stay about a 1/2 in open, when they came to solve the problem, they basically dropped the back of the glides by about an 1/8 of an inch and ta Da! no more problems. Now maybe that means they were tilted wrong in the first place. . . I checked to see what they did, but didn't take a level to it.

No I have never built a drawer in my life. So yes, that is one reason I am planning of asking high and low and reading every thing I can find so that my first mock up will be a success, or otherwise saying that I want to only have to make one mock up, not many mock ups; because I AM MAKING at least one working and installed, to see if I like it, if not, I'll pull it and go back to normal. . . I live here alone so if it takes being stalled with only one cabinet for a test period, I can handle that.

I think this is the other reason I have to do all of this myself, I want to taste test everything. Make a bit, see if reality lives up to my imagination, what pitfalls didn't I anticipate and so on. . . contractors hate that. I am willing for it to take five years to completely move the kitchen from it current room to the new room. I am currently living in what I call camping rules. . . I have a clean working bedroom, one clean working bathroom (though #2 is in its final bits and should be back online by xmas), and the old kitchen won't be dissassembled till the new one is up and running smoothly. Otherwise, every room is either a workroom with sawing and stuff stacked everywhere (my shop is a darkroom so don't ask why I don't use it, it has to stay absolutely pristine for me to do my job), or it is being remodeled or demo'd for a remodel.

To think I used to be the biatch on the block that had the Better Homes and Garden kind of cleaned every day, everything neatly put away homes till I bought and started remodelling this one. . . most folks who know me, just look and shake their heads at me, but man, I have never had so much fun!

• Jon1270
    18 years ago

1/8" over the length of a typical drawer slide is less than half a degree. Anyhow, most drawer slides have a built-in mechanism to keep the drawer shut. Whatever was wrong with your old cabinets' drawers, I'm glad they fixed it so easily.

Even if you don't like Tom's 35# slides, there are plenty of 100# slides that would work. 500# is just silly unless you and a friend are planning to table-dance on them.

I doubt you'll like having littler drawers opening from the sides of the big drawers, though the novelty value would be significant. The first time you try to close the big drawer while the little one is still open, you'll damage the drawer, the slide and/or the face of the adjacent cabinet, which will suck the fun right out of it.

Knock yourself out. Have fun. Don't be afraid to ask for troubleshooting help.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, good point, I hadn't thought of damage to the extra drawers, okay, I will design them out and solve my utensils type drawer into something different. . .thanks these are the type of nudges I need! You folks rock!

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooops, I forgot to address the 500# overkill. Now imagine you are a little short, what do we shorties do? We use open lower cabinets as step-ups to reach into the upper cabs, and this design will really lend itself well to that concept, so I figure for the extra $100 per pair, it is worth the overkill and a wise place to spend some of what I am saving doing it myself.

• chuckr30
    18 years ago

Drawers are not too hard once you practice. I built an office that had wrap around desks, drawers, and lots of cabinets. Just accept that you will have to fuss with the first 1 or 2 drawer slides you install to get them perfectly level before you get the hang of it. Be sure to use your level at all steps of installing the drawers and slides.

I'm not a pro builder, just an intermediate DIYer. The easiest slides to install were the kind that attach to the sides of the drawer box, not the kind that attach to the face frame and the back of the box. Those were too hard to reach and screw in, because you are continuously reaching in to adjust the level of the slides.

We didn't use pulls on the drawers we just undercut every edge on the face part of the drawer.

• olphart
    18 years ago

This thread is difficult to read because of the large size of the photos, so if I am repeating someone elseÂs thoughts, my apologies.

I prefer the all drawer concept of lower cabinets. I think fixed shelves are a joke for the very reason you stated. I would also recommend you do frameless cabinets, and use the 32mm system. That way you can use the holes on the sides of the cabinet to adjust your pull out shelve position to fit your cookware and appliances.

Frameless cabinets also make better use of your space by using more of the width of the cabinet. I donÂt understand why they are not as popular as framed cabinets. They are certainly no harder, if not easier to construct.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

olphart (love the handle) I haven't seen anything relating to frameless cabinets, so I guess I better go looking. Do you have any links you might be able to share or pics?

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went to see what you were mentioning, and by chance, the design in my head was based on a platform bed with deep, big drawers; and it happens to be frameless. So they will be frameless, but I am not being able to get in to see what the diff between frameless and 32mm frameless. I tried
    www.true32.com and a few others, but it is all for sales so not much in visual or even verbal comparison. I can sign up for classes, buy books, even browse supplies and hardware; but cannot find a place that shows the diff.

• olphart
    18 years ago

They probably have frameless cabinets at Home Depot, or just about any cabinet store. If you are unclear of the concept, just open your cabinet doors and imagine the frame being removed. The new doors would be large enough to cover the entire opening.

Frameless normally require different hinges  the so-called European-style hinges. Since the sides of the doors of the cabinets are nearly touching when closed, these hinges allow the door to come out a bit on the hinge side to clear the adjacent door.

I bought a supply of drawer slides and hinges from Woodworker's Supply. You might check them out. They also show drawings of the different applications. The hinges differ in the way they open and the angle in which they open. If you have cabinets with pullouts, you would want a hinge that opens wide enough to let the shelf clear the door. Some hinges open at a less than 90° angle.

I could give you some links, but I would suggest you Google "Frameless Cabinets" and "32mm Cabinets" and check out a number of the sights. If you have more questions, just ask. You can e-mail me if you like.

• olphart
    18 years ago

Rainidame, I think I confused you. A 32mm System is a type of frameless system. Simply stated, the shelf pin holes on the insides of the cabinets are 32mm apart so that parts using the holes can be used in all 32mm cabinets.

You can make the holes an inch apart, half inch, or whatever distance you choose. 32mm is simply a standard.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OIC, then we are set. Since I won't be having an regular doors (oops, I guess I will under the sink,huh?), okay I'll need one set of four hinges, and I am familiar with the european style. The drawer glides I have chosen are at

ovisonline.com and are commercial 500# since I am gliding a whole cabinets worth, which may also end up used as a step-up to reach upper cabs.

Thank you again for your attention and advice.

• abnorm
    18 years ago

"32 mm" is the size of the hole required for mounting the european hinges.......

• Jon1270
    18 years ago

All the euro hinges I've used (Blum) required a 35 mm hole, not 32 mm. Conveniently, 35 mm is only a couple thousandths of an inch from 1 3/8", which is an easier/cheaper bit to find and works fine.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OH! Now I understand the 32mm. . .thanks again guys.

• olphart
    18 years ago

32mm is the center to center spacing for the holes inside the cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: 32mm System

• olphart
    18 years ago

Rainidame, check out this site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley 32mm System

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

olphart! Great Site, and what great l'l setup they got to make it so much easier. Well, it appears anyway won't know till I try, this just zoomed to the top of the what to buy next list. YOU ROCK!

I'll check back in a few hours, looks like the entire LeeValleyTools site is quite the find. . . getting dreamily lost it in! I want one of those, and one of these, oh! I so rather have tools than shoes...or makeup. . . okay, food comes first, then tools! lol

• olphart
    18 years ago

Rainidame, as you probably realized, you can use that system on both lower and upper cabinets. You can also use it on bookshelves as well.

OK, now that you have things figgered out, lemme throw another idea at you. Have you ever considered making lower cabinets that are 32" deep rather than the standard 24"? What you do is build the lower carcasses 24" deep, but mount them 8" away from the wall. Then you make your drawers and pullout drawers 30" or 31" deep. You can still use 24" drawer slides, but mounted at the front of the pullout.

Your countertops would be a standard 26" deep. The space between the back on the counter and the wall could be shelves, cubby holes, swingout units  all 8" deep. You could even store staples or appliances like a toaster, mixer, blender, etc. I realize you are somewhat short of stature, but, if you can reach the backsplash, you can reach items stored in this extended area.

As and added benefit, your upper cabinets could extend depth of your upper cabinets by as much as 8". Of course, you have to have a kitchen big enough to accommodate the additional depth.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, olphart, one reason I am making all of this is because the island is a six ft quarter round huge thing. To use the space underneath well I will have lower cabinets ranging from 53 to 24", also the reason I decided to go with the commercial glides, they actually have these long sizes with high weight ratings.

Since I am making the counters out of purple heart, I can make them any size and I had planned on 32" without cubbies for the non-island counters, just 32". Again I can find glides to accomdate this as well. And yes the upper cabs are going to be 14 to 20" wide as I have keyholed (cut out every other one)the stud sections above the counter height on the interior walls so that the upper shelves/cabs will follow the cutouts giving a varied space. OH! now that I think of it, the counter will be cut to fit the cutouts also, so in some areas it will be nearly 38" deep, but I was going to make some appliance garages in those parts.

• olphart
    18 years ago

Rainidame, your plans sound fascinating. I hope you keep us updated with the progress with photos. I also wish I was helping you do the work, of course, with you paying me to do so. I need the work!

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Olphart, I have tried to hire a couple of folks, paid good wages I thought too, $20/hr, but I guess I am just too difficult to work for because no one shows up the third day. They do fine till it comes down to my way or their way, and since I'm the boss, and its my house; I insist on my way, so they take the hiway. I think they all have problems thinking a little WOMAN like me could know anything more than they, and they start arguing and such; so to save time and $$. . .I will end the argument by immasculating them. Don't want to choose that but if I try to be "nice" about it, the arguments have gone on for hours. "you can't do that!", . . . "I already am, now grab that corner!" This sort of thing goes on and on, till I finally get cranky and cut 'em off at the balls. Oh, well, I can get it done myself it just takes WAAAAAY longer.

• rainidame
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OMG! I'm one step closer to starting the island cabinets. . . got the 3/4" high density particle board today. Errg, but part of it is to install a new floor in the bathroom, which has to come first, errrr. Don't worry the particle board is for the test run then the template, not the finished product, I will probably use the birch plywood as recommended above.

But I am sooo excited. . . and nervous. . .soon I should know if I can make it work as planned.

• susan6
    18 years ago

Just skimmed through the thread and thought I'd add some thoughts. I've built a lot of furniture, including drawers, but when remodeling my kitchen I bought a lot of things online and reworked them. You can buy really good quality dovetailed drawers (I used MapleCraftUSA.com) and the price isn't exhorbitant at all. The carcasses are easy and the newer Euro type drawer glides & hinges are easier than they used to be. HD has good prices on full extension glides for most purposes, too. It seems to me that you haven't yet looked at many of the newer customized features they have for cabinets now. Do some more "shopping" before you start and you may come up with some ways to customize without so much effort.

• kitchenobsessed
    18 years ago

rainidame: I suggest checking out Ikea for ideas and seeing a lot of frameless cabs. The kitchen cabinetry all uses Blum full extension glides. They may also have the soft close Blumotion which closes automatically when the drawer is a few inches away. Also, I think it is Shelves-that-Slide that offers custom after market pull-outs with a high side option.

My lowers are all full extension drawers; no pull-outs; no doors with shelves. My 24" sink cabinet is a drawer as well. The full height door is braced on the sides because the drawer is only 6" deep with a shallow moon routed in the back to accomodate the disposal. I pull it out for my trash and to reach to cleaning supplies and dishwasher detergent.

Come on over to the Kitchen Forum for more ideas. One person is recycling old metal file cabinets to use as cabinets.

• cookiemonsterdh
    18 years ago

I went through almost this same thing when Garden Of Darwin and I made our breakfast room into a Kitchen annex. I justified the purchase of several nice additions to my tool collection specifically for the creation of the cabinets, but when the amount of time required was explained, she suddenly wanted to look at buying some or all of what was needed. I was *NOT* impressed by the quality of the HD/Lowes/Kraftmade cabs, but I *was* impressed by Ikea's version. The BLUM hardware is REALLY nice, and their pull out pantries/drawers are incredible at the prices they charge. Since you assemble them yourself (pretty easy) they lend themselves VERY well to DIY modifications. My wife loved them so much she created a whole IKEA (mostly kitchens) website that has FAR more info on it than IKEA's site does. Take a look, you'll probably be able to get want you want for a lot less than you've seen in the showrooms, and there are a LOT of folks on the site that have done some fairly extensive modifications...

I still got a planner, 8 Bessey K-Body clamps and a few other tools out of the deal.. Heh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikeafans

• talley_sue_nyc
    5 years ago

You may have moved on, but I -think- this is similar to your "vertical drawer accessed from the side" pullouts.

Family Handyman lower cabinet pullouts

• talley_sue_nyc
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago