SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
computergardener

Time it takes to add second tray... Worm Factory

computergardener
15 years ago

Hi all --

More of a tip for users of worm factory's / COWs then a question.

I added my second tray today to my worm factory. I added 1 lbs worms on Aug 30 so it has been roughly 60 days. The first tray is 75-85% casting, with a little food left over from last week. I added the second tray because I was starting to get worms climbing to the top. I didn't think the Factory was ready for a second tray but when I added the second tray I noticed it did not lay flat. As a mattor of fact their was a large quarter to half inch gap.

I took out casting, worms, and bedding from top of the first tray and added it to the second. I also went out to my natural area and added an 1" layer of leaves, a few scoops of finished screened compost and a few scoops of unfinished compost. Finally, I pour 16 oz of rain water on the second try to moisten it.

I had hesitated to add a second tray because I read there needed to be good contact for the worms to travel north. Well, there is no need to worry about the second bin contacting the first. If anything I think the second is pushing down too hard on the first.

At this point, I am going to wait at least a week before I add more food to see if the first bin settles more and to see if my little pets climb up on their own.

Just thought I would share .... John

Comments (7)