SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmt903_gw

When to start a 2nd tray? And... what to do if too hot?

gmt903
15 years ago

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but I am a newbie. (Just started my WF in January.)

In an old post from computergardener (Time it takes to add second tray... Worm Factory), Dwalt said: "Why the rush to add a second tray? To my line of thinking if you add a second tray and worms migrate up to it then it will only slow down the processing of the first tray if it isn't finished."

My questions is: how do you KNOW when your first try is finished, if you are always adding food to it. Wouldn't it, theoretically, never been finished? How do you know when it's time to move to a second tray? I'm wondering that now.

I started on Jan. 22 (09), and my first tray is starting to get full and I know it's hot b/c my worms always drop down to the collecting tray. Yesterday when checked on them (I haven't fed them in a few days), about a dozen were ON TOP of my 3-4 layers of moist newspaper (right under the lid). Obviously they are trying to get away from the heat. Am I feeding them too much? I don't even feed them every day - even though the WF instructions say that 1lb of worms will eat 1/2 lb of food a day.

And... any tips for if/when I should start my second tray.

Thanks! This forum has been invaluable as I start off along my happy life of worm composing!

~ Gina

Comments (11)