SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyleee217

worm factory: worms crawl down and die, then smell bad

amyleee217
13 years ago

Hi everybody! I bought a worm factory and have started out with one tray. Its been about 3 weeks. I followed the directions and put several sheets of newspaper in the bottom (supposedly to prevent them from crawling through) before adding the layer of bedding. Well, they are crawling down through the paper anyway. The working tray smells nice and clean and earthy, however, every day i check down below in the moisture catching area and I always find 4-8 worms down there and 2 or 3 that have drowned in the tablespoon or so of water at the collection site. The dead worms start to smell bad! I try and move the live ones back up and also bury the dead ones but I'm wondering if this is normal? I'd rather not have drowning worms. I put a little shredded paper where the moisture gathers hoping they could save themselves from drowning but still had 2 dead worms when I checked this evening and 3 or 4 just hanging out down there.

Should I just leave it alone down there?

or

Maybe I should peel back the bedding and add more whole sheets of newspaper so they can't crawl down below?

any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Amy

Comments (11)