SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celbrise

worm bin heating up but i don't know why

Celbrise
11 years ago

my worm bin which is about only 2 days old is heating up. I have looked up troubleshooting on what it could be but none of it seem to be the cause.

here is what my bin is made with.

shreded cardboard/egg cartons, a burlap sac (thin piece only to cover the top), newspaper, some old vermicompost to get it starting.

i feed on one side only and it's a very light feeding due to the small amount of worms. maybe about 3 pieces of lettuce it was a bit mold but still green and strong.

the bin itself is an old cooler i drilled tons of holes at the top for air.

everything is moist not soaking wet. worms are not crawling out. but yet the bin is heating up. any ideas why this is happening? the bin itself is in my closet 24/7 so it's dark.

it seems like every morning when i open up the bin it's extremely warm i highly doubt it will kill the worms as i looked up they can withstand 90 degrees but again i highly doubt it even gets that high.

any ideas why it's heating up im trying to prevent it from happening usually i just wake up leave the lid open for a few hours then close it and it cools it down but i do get tired of doing this due to potential flies and roaches.

Comments (6)