SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

How will I know if there are too many worms in a bin?

weedlady
15 years ago

I am quite certain that my 30-gallon Rubbermaid bin that I started a month ago with 2 pounds of worms is nowhere near over-populated, but I was just wondering...

Actually I am inclined to start another, smaller bin (just because I have a 10-gallon one ready) but keep reading that worms thrive more on neglect than being messed with. So since I just got them a month ago, although there are quite noticeably more worms and much bigger worms that I saw at first, should I just let 'em alone for a while yet? I am anxious to raise as many as possible before planting season so I can add them to my 10 raised garden beds outdoors. We just built the beds last fall, and filled them with compost from our local composting facility--but when we were filling the beds, and with all the digging I have done into surplus compost to use as mulch, I did not encounter a single worm (!!), so I really want to get some in there come warm weather.

I shredded & soaked a bunch of newspaper overnight a few weeks ago. Next day, I drained off the extra water, then wrung out the paper until it was like a wrung-out sponge. This sat in a covered bin by itself for a couple of weeks as I wanted to see if it would smell or get moldy or anything. (It didn't.) But it just seems so icky and artificial for worms to go into that as opposed to something more dirt-like... :-)

Then dh came home from Starbucks last week with a bag of their used coffee grounds. (I get them all summer and add them to the regular compost pile or put them around the roses and azaleas.) I decided to mix the grounds in with the paper (remember, I have not added worms; just still experimenting with bedding possibilities). Well, I noticed this morning that after a week there was a slight odor coming from that bin now; looked inside & saw that the grounds have gotten moldy in spots.

I am tempted to try adding some blender-chopped kitchen waste to that along with some used potting soil (which also contains some of last year's garden compost)to see if it will heat up like my regular outdoor compost piles. I thought maybe I could let it heat up once (if, indeed, it will--and I don't see why not) and then add some worms. I know I should not add the worms to hot compost in a closed container, or stuff that may become hot. Outdoors, they can move away, but there's nowhere to go in a bin!

Also, would a switch from peat to my mixture mess the worms' digestion up? I DO have a bag of peat out in the shed, it's just that it's kinda hard to wade through the snow to the shed right now, and the bag'll be pretty frozen. But if you think I should stick with that since it is what the herd is accustomed to, I will!

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Comments (2)