SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenivy_gw

first harvest-compost STINKS

GreenIvy
11 years ago

Hi, I'm new to worm farming..

My 4 month compost has a very strong rotting food odour. It was extremely wet when I dumped the bin, so I let it dry out on a plastic bag for 3ish days while picking worms out. There was no mould, or rotting food visible, so why the stink? Extra story below. :)

I was given about 5 worms and set up a 2 foot square plastic bin (with lots of holes) on June 1st. Bedding was about half the bin full, newspaper, flyers and bills. Got to love feeding bills to the worms :) I've been feeding lightly (had a couple of overfeeds though), no meat or milk but just about everything else.

So it's been 4 months and the bin was half full of compost so I did my first harvest. Yay! I didn't feed for 10 days to let the worms finish up. The compost as far as I could tell was totally finished. Black and friable, and no obvious chunks of anything left over. There weren't any bugs except a few fruit flies. There were a *ton* of newspaper lumps throughout which I picked out and put back in the bin.

I counted (ok, weighed) 880 worms and got just over 10lbs of compost. That's amazing! The worms were 99% juveniles. I don't think I got any cocoons- I picked out anything that looked possible but I suspect I'm saving apple seeds.

Anyone got ideas, criticism, cookies?

TIA

Ivy

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting