SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homertherat

Thinking of starting some bins

14 years ago

I've been researching worm composting and I think I might start a bin for a few reasons, but I have some questions before I dive into it.

1: How much can one "bin" of worms eat in a week? I've got 6 people in my family, and I'd say we produce less than average waste. 3 teenagers = not much leftovers :)

2: What can be added? I've seen articles and posts from people that say yard waste is ok, and some say it isn't. Could I add small amounts of yard/garden waste, such as leaves or foliage or even weeds from the flower beds? Also, I have a very neglected orchard of apples, cherries, and pears behind my house (my neighbors orchard, not mine) and a large amount of fruit falls to the ground throughout the growing season. I assume it would be ok to feed them to the worms instead of letting them sit there and stink up the yard. Is this correct?

I had more questions but they just escaped my brain.

This way seems easier than trying to remember to take the kitchen scraps outside to the compost pile. We throw away most of our left overs because we either forget to put them aside when doing dishes, or we're just too lazy to take them out to the pile.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals