SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonderpets_gw

Next step for pocket feeding when you like to mess w/bin

wonderpets
13 years ago

I don't remember the current dimensions on my bin -- somewhere around 2'x 4' x 10" deep, I think. Herd started from approx 50 worms two years ago. I've gone through several kinds of DIY setups to find this one that I'm 90% satisfied with.

Bin is divided into 6 areas, sectioned off like an old-time metal ice tray. The "walls" are that plastic square mesh found in the crafts section, zipped tied together -- twine doesn't last.

Worms ate most everything in slot one, slot two is slightly more rough, and slot three is half vermipost half paper. The herd is centered in the fourth section, where I am currently feeding.

I know that I want to let each section finish up -- let the wormies move out, let the babies move out, etc. And I realize that I know have a herd large enough that I don't have to sweat each and every worm.

Here's the question(s): Do I feed in one section until it's full, then start the next one on the bottom? Do I work my way around the bin multiple times, going back after time to a section that is mostly vacant?

I have two main concerns.

1. I'm operating on the drier side and don't want to end up with a very wet section, so I'm afraid of depth. I plan to keep one section full at all times with just my shredded paper bedding supply. Convenient, absorbs excess moisture, etc.

2.And the age-old question from bin-diggers, how will I know when a section is "done?" I divided the bin so that I won't be continuosly mixing the entire thing back together. And I'm working very hard to not consolidate the mostly done bits together, leaving a vacant section between what is mostly done and what is obviously still working. Sectioning the bits by how much is vermipoo vs bedding, etc.

Thoughts? Advice?

The best I can come up with on my own is to feed in a section until it is 2/3 full, then let it "rest" and intend to leave the whole box alone for a few months after I've cycled through the sections maybe twice....

Comments (10)