SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

Here's where I'm at (1st year).. what's the next step?

sojay
17 years ago

Here's my setup: a large plastic container, holes drilled on sides and bottom, placed on a lid to collect moisture. I bought red worms at a bait shop, and it took them a while to be happy, in the beginning many were wandering.

I've been feeding them a lot (only veggie scraps) and added shredded newspaper if things look a little too wet. I've probably been feeding them too much (but what else should I do with extra scraps..)

When I poke around, I see both worms and soldier fly larvae - especially now in spring. They are not in the same locations, the solder fly larvae like the wetter areas, so I pile up scraps on one side for the worms so they are happy too.

The bin is now so full that I'd have a hard time moving it. Maybe because it's a bit on the wet side. Anyhow, what shall I do next? It looks a bit muddy in general, and sometimes I get a bit of leachate. Nothing looks really like I can harvest it. Do I leave this alone and start a new one or what do I do? This one has been going on for about a year or a bit more.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations