SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

What I'm thinking about doing for next year......

...is a project every 3 months to make a seasonal wallhanging using techniques that are out of our box. Like me with paperpiecing. Would anyone be interested in this? I was thinking maybe:

January/March - Spring

April/June - Summer

July/August - Autumn

September/December- Winter

OR, you could do whatever season you want. No rules as you would make the size you want, using the fabric/colors you want and the pattern/technique you want as this will be yours to do with as you please. I think each project should be using a different technique or combination. If appliquing, could use various stitches. Like,(don't yell at me) I've never done a blanket stitch.

I'm just throwing this out for consideration or if something should be added or changed in the plan.

Anyone????

Sharon

Comments (59)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm really pleased with the interest in this project! I was doing it because I needed a little push to get myself going on seasonal wallhangings. I've been wanting to do them and it appears, I'm not alone! Goody, goody, goody!

Sharon (geezerfolks)
    Linda (toolgranny)
    Jeane (love2sew)
    Annie (Damascusannie)
    Susan (itsmesuzq)
    magothyrivergirl
    tdsully
    Bon (bonica)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

ME, ME, ME LOL!!!!!!
    I had to look up the jeweled forest pattern and it is so pretty.
    I keep planning to make seasonal thingies and I haven'e yet so this will get me going.
    I'm in.
    Rosa (rosajoe)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, Rosa, how would we ever be able to get away with doing something without you tagging along....LOL....you know we'll love to have you, honest!!!!!

Sharon (geezerfolks)
    Linda (toolgranny)
    Jeane (love2sew)
    Annie (Damascusannie)
    Susan (itsmesuzq)
    magothyrivergirl
    tdsully
    Bon (bonica)
    Rosa (rosajoe)
    -----------------------------------
    Ideas:
    Totally pieced and embellished
    Incorporate an orphan block
    Scalloped Border
    Curves
    Pieced with appliquéd overlay
    Totally appliquéd - hand and/or machine
    Type of appliqué:
    edge with zipper foot
    raw edge
    blanket stitch

What ideas can you add????

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

You know me too well Sharon LOL!!!! This sounds like a lot of fun and I am so glad you thought of it!!
    How about reverse applique??

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

I thought I posted last night but I guess it didn't make it. As long as there isn't a size limit I am game. I have very little wall space but could use a small something in the bath. Love a challenge and it should be fun. Will there be suggesed tech. for each challenge?
    Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good one Rosa, I'll add it to the list. I added foundation pieced, too.

You're in Jayne.

This will be a no limits, whatever you want to do and whatever size you want. It will be your wallhanging and you will be the one enjoying it. You know the techniques you haven't done before and want to try or become more skillful at. The only 'rule' is that each one is to be a different season.

Sharon (geezerfolks)
    Linda (toolgranny)
    Jeane (love2sew)
    Annie (Damascusannie)
    Susan (itsmesuzq)
    magothyrivergirl
    tdsully
    Bon (bonica)
    Rosa (rosajoe)
    Jayne (nanajayne)

This is going to be sooooo much fun! I'm such a traditionalist, that I'm trying to get other ideas and try new things for mine.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are you girls surfing to get ideas? I am...coming across a few ideas but nothing has really turned me on yet. Maybe I'll have to, horrors, design my own.....AACKCKKK

• salijo
    14 years ago

How ironic mom...I was planning on doing a wall hanging of that same pattern in the McCalls magazine!
    Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gather round, one and all,
    and listen to the wallhanging call.

Whether large or whether small,
    we'll get one done, and that's not all.

So make a pattern or have one close,
    that will make you smile, or you'll be toast.

The fabric is next, oh my what glee!
    Pull from the stash? or shop abundantly?

Cutting or snipping, the pieces will fall
    into their proper place because we're the boss.

Machine or by hand, the stitches will fly,
    until we say, 'no more' and only we'll know why.

Pictures are a must, no matter what,
    because we want to see when you said, 'It's enough!'

Sharon (can you tell it's an original) :)

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Love the original poem, Sharon.

OK, I took a good long look at my piles of fabrics. Some of the pieces are getting kind of small and really need to be used. So I think I will be able to do this. Put me down please.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal, Do you want your name added to the list? It doesn't mean you're in for the long haul.....we're taking it 3 months at a time.....

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

Clever poem, Sharon! You're obviously clever enough to design your own!

I'll be watching & cheering from the sidelines. I did a number of wallhangings this year. They're fun because you know they don't take forever to do.

You go girls!!

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

This is such an exciting idea! When I signed up I was thinking of tackling the techniques that I want (and need) to learn so I can make better quilts. My list started with:
    Templates/Applique/Paper Piecing/Curves

Now my mind dreams of:
    Embellishment (with beads etc.)/Art Quilt (looks like a painting)/Hand Quilting (Grandmothers Flower Garden)...

I'm not saying I'll do everything, in fact I know I won't but what an exciting concept!! To be with others who are all doing something new to them, well this is just like a group of good friends who encourage each other, help and advise when they can and in the end applaud all the wonderful projects that will be made.

Being new to quilting (1 year next month) this is a dream come true. ~LOL~

Susan

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Susan~we share the same anniversary~LOL~ my actual date of my first 1/4" quilting seam was Nov 7th! (a class).

"We've come a long way Baby!!"

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Sharon, you're so clever! And, I've picked the jeweled forest as well. I'll make mine for Xmas.

How about picking a deadline for the photos and we can all post our project at the same time.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sharon - love the poem! When is this starting? Are we supposed to be doing the project now? I thought it was beginning during 1st Qtr 2010.
    Since this is "our project" ~ and "your loose rules" can we do table runners or something small for the house? I don't have a wall hanging kind of house - not to mention no wall space - but I want to play!!! But~my feelings won't be hurt if you say no - its got to be a wall hanging. I can easily stick to the new technique criteria, since almost everything is new to me ~ even I've done Blanket stitch by hand and the machine! hee-hee

• love2sew
    14 years ago

Sharon I just printed out your post so I can start thinking about this. I sorta have my idea planned and this is going to be so much fun, like a sew along. Thankyou for thinking of this and planning it.
    Jeane

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beverly, I have you added...be thinking what you can do with those small pieces......a collage?

Jennifer, We'll need your expertise, so keep an eye on us. Cheerleaders are welcome for encouragement. @:) We want to hear some sis-boom-bahs when we get started.

Susan, I glad you want to join in on my shenanigans. One of the reasons I posted early about this is because I change my mind so often.

Linda, Maybe we should suggest that everyone show a picture of their project at the end of the 3 month period whether they were able to complete it or not.

Maygo, This is beginning January, 2010 through March. If you want to lay your Âseasonal wall hanging on the table, I donÂt have a problem with that. @:)

Jeane, YouÂre welcome! I think IÂve decided what I want to do, too. ItÂll probably take me the next 2 months to design it and figure out how to do it!

We have the next 2 months but they'll be chock full of holidays and family get-togethers (as it should be), so you can keep this on the back burner on simmer (if you can). @:)

Glad you liked the poem...sometimes my brain works, and overtime at that!

• lots2do
    14 years ago

I'd like to join in, too...
    Great idea!
    Kelly (lots2do)

• salijo
    14 years ago

Yes, you can go ahead and sign me on.
    Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, welcome, Kelly and Salijo...

Sharon (geezerfolks)
    Linda (toolgranny)
    Jeane (love2sew)
    Annie (Damascusannie)
    Susan (itsmesuzq)
    magothyrivergirl
    tdsully
    Bon (bonica)
    Rosa (rosajoe)
    Jayne (nanajayne)
    Beverly (grammyp)
    Kelly (lots2do)
    Salijo (salijo)

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Sharon, You are just TOO talented. Great poem. Jayne

• gininmn
    14 years ago

I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this post. I want to join too. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but I suffer from a dearth of "roundtuits." Making a commitment here should help.

Love your poem, Sharon. I'm going to print it out and post it for inspiration.
    ~Ginny

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jayne. DH comes up with some doozies! He sent me a lot of them during our courting days but I got mad at him and burned them all! My mom cried.

Ginny, Welcome to the 'I'm finally getting roundtuit' club. I sure hope it helps me, too. lol

Sharon (geezerfolks)
    Linda (toolgranny)
    Jeane (love2sew)
    Annie (Damascusannie)
    Susan (itsmesuzq)
    magothyrivergirl
    tdsully
    Bon (bonica)
    Rosa (rosajoe)
    Jayne (nanajayne)
    Beverly (grammyp)
    Kelly (lots2do)
    Salijo (salijo)
    Ginny (gininmn)

• maggie_sue
    14 years ago

Okay, I just can't resist any longer. Please add me to your list. Have always wanted to try pp, maybe this will help me get off the starting block!!! Thank you for doing this!!! Great poem!!!

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Sharon is a very talented lady!!
    The Nov/Dec Fons & Porter has a lovely Holiday Cheer on the cover that I am planning for my winter project for next year.
    I plan on buying the red, greens, and gold fabrics when Christmas fabric goes on sale.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're on the list, Maggie Sue.

Rosa, Great planning!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To help get kick-started if needed....or ideas, or just to look.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pie Plate Patterns

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Really cute patterns!
    And a new technique I am going to try for the first one is dyeing my own fabrics.
    My first attempt 2 years ago was OK but I wasn't thrilled with the outcome so I'm gonna try, try again.
    Rosa

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I've been making plans for mine and have a few changes to make. There is a rail at the head of my stairs that really needs something (the end behind the ladder DH is on).

I think I will make 2 double sided hangings connected by strips to hang over the rail there. (Does that make sense?) The creamy yellow is the new color. So much better than the pink it was. We are finally getting things put back, but he still has to paint all the trim and doors.

beverly

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Can you send him over here when he gets done?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beverly, A great idea...plus, you could make them reversible! Looks like a good place to hang them. When I first saw him on that ladder, I showed Clay and he explained the ladder and that it was ok....I'm such a ninny. Sears used to have a Whipped Cream paint that we used with a bright white ceiling and trim. I love that look!!

Planning to start a new thread in a few days, so everyone start thinking if your latest choice is your final choice. I've changed my mind a few times, but 'think' I've made my final decision. I've also been trying to think ahead and be prepared.....sigh.

Sharon

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

Is it too late for me to join? Yesterday, DD and DDIL and I went to the Red Rooster quilt shop in Dublin, OH. I found a pattern that has 12 table runners in it. One for each month of the year. They had all of them made and hanging in the classroom. I want to make one each month, (yeah, right!) this year. My intentions are good anyway!
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Calendar Table Runners #140

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I did 3 wallhangings last year to hang outside my front door. (Doorhangings, someone called them and I like that.) So how can I stop now? The ultimate goal is to have 12 doorhangings, which leaves me with 9 yet to do. If I get 4 more done this year, that will be great.

OK, I'm in at least for the Jan-March set. I even have something Spring-like in mind with fusible applique. This will give me the incentive I need to get it done!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LindaOH and Kate, You both are on the list now bringing us to 17....not that anyone really needs to sign up. @:) This is really a laid back thing........you make it as stressful as you want. I can't handle stress so I'm about as easy going as you can get (if you don't count DH). @:)

LindaOH....those are some cute table runners!

Kate, Originally, I was thinking per month, but didn't want to stress anyone....mainly me. lol Go for it!!!

Sharon

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Toolgranny, I'll be glad to send him over, of course I'll have to come and make sure he actually does some work.

Sharon, I made him get the ladder. He was just going to get some 2x4s and ply wood for a makeshift floor and use the other ladder, but I won the argument and he got this one. Each leg is adjustable and it is very stable. Now he doesn't use the other one.

I will be so glad when everything is painted and I can stop moving things around to get them out of the way.

beverly

• solstice98
    14 years ago

"Kate, Originally, I was thinking per month, but didn't want to stress anyone....mainly me. lol Go for it!!!"

Oh no no!!! I am NOT going to do one per month! 1 new doorhanging per quarter will be plenty and even that may not happen. I still haven't decided on a design for my niece's wedding quilt and I need to have it completed by April! Stress??? Oh yeah!

Kate

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I have my first project planned. I'll call it "Spring". Isn't that just the most original title you've ever heard of??

Sharon, you can let us know in March when to post pictures.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beverly, Clay would have done the same thing! In fact, he worked with my grandfather and he taught him how to be a one man construction crew. He put up our ceiling (it's some kind of paneling) by himself and also pre-made the roof over the laundry room and put that up by himself....he did take out a window with that escapade! Life with him since he's retired has been a riot....did I tell you he just got tats on each shoulder? He told me he was going out to get some gasoline in his motorcycle, but DGS saw his bike and told on him. Is he going through midlife crisis at almost 75 or what?

Kate, I'm glad I don't have to keep up with you. I figured even I might be able to finish a wall hanging in 3 months. @:)

Linda (toolgranny), You aren't kidding me! You've probably got it half done already. LOLOLOL You are original, young lady, yes, you are. @:)

Sharon

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Mine is started but it will take all of the 3 mo. to finish. Jayne

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sharon - share the tats - what kind??? We want pictures!!

• salijo
    14 years ago

Does anyone mind if I make all my wall hangings for the same season? I would like to give several Christmas ones as gifts next year.

Salijo

• love2sew
    14 years ago

I have this scribble note on my board and I was just looking at it today thinking I must get started with the framework. I am doing a wall hanging that I can button each season to the backing. I have so many ideas rolling around in my head but nothing on paper. January is such a cold month here that I love to just stay home and sew, quilt and chat here.

Some very impressive ideas going on here.
    Jeane

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I think the idea of a frame or base wallhanging that can be altered with the seasons is a neat idea. Although I think I'll be starting with a Spring theme, the idea that's floating around in my head is to do a doorhanging in a landscape scene with some little patches of mesh overlay so I can slip Scrabble letters into it, arranged in phrases. Because it would be changeable, I could change the phrase as needed. "Happy Valentines Day", "I'm in the garden", "Welcome, McNeeses", "Happy Trails to You", "Rain rain go away", "Happy Birthday, Jim!" whatever. Fun, right? I've been collecting Scrabble letter tiles for years so I'll have enough letters if I ever get to this particular project! I'll use the blank tiles to add punctuation (Sharpies write on anything). Does anyone need a Q?

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mago....he had his Japanese Chop put on the outside of each shoulder. He's met several Bonsai Masters and one of them wrote the character for his name so he made his own Chop and has been using it for years. It's even sewn into the seat of his motorcycle. No pictures yet, but they'll be coming.....

Salijo, You know me....I don't care. Do you plan to make different patterns?

Jeane, Sounds like your seasons will be the same size?????

I need to get my stuff together and get organized....at least I think I know what I want to do......

Sharon

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sharon - DH's tats sounds very cool - at least it was well planned and thought out & he didn't get "MOM" ~lol.

deb_from_pa posted a link on another thread that has seasonal wall hanging patterns, kits and the decorative novelty wire hangers. I thought it would be good to post it here for those of us who have not planned anything yet. It is also a good source for some inspiration. Thanks again deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasonal Wallhangings, etc

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

thanx magothyrivergirl, I was planning on posting that link here too.....and was also thinking I just might be up for this challenge....goodness knows I have enuff fabrics.....should do something with them.......LOL!
    That site has awesome ideas as well as a few others posted here

• gininmn
    14 years ago

I'm so glad to see this thread again. I was filling out a calendar for my sewing room with commitments and ideas for the year. I thought I'd signed up to do something else but just couldn't remember what it was. I finally decided I'd just imagined it. Doggone senior moments! Thanks for the reminder. I need to get thinking and deciding about my new challenges for 2010. I definitely want to try paper piecing, some applique, and some crazy quilting with embellishments sometime this year. Also on my list is learning to sew and FM quilt on my new-to-me Singer Model 66 treadle, who I named Bella Ruby because she's beautiful and has red eyes (decorations that is).
    Ginny

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

I'm excited to see this that we're all talking about what we want to tackle for the first season. I just went into my quilting "studio" (a fancy name for my quilting space~LOL~) and I picked up a Jinny Beyer "Calico Cat Doorstop" kit that I bought recently. One of my goals this next year is to learn how to make templets and do some embellishments with beads/buttons/thread etc.

After looking over the directions in this kit I will have to several techniques that I've never done before so I think this will be my first project. It stands about 14" tall and it's heavy enough to hold a door open, so this should be a fun project (good for the spirit when trying something new) and I'm excited to say this will be it for me!!

Susan

• salijo
    14 years ago

yes, they will all be different. You know me...I have an aversion to making the same thing twice!

Salijo