SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pablo_nh_gw

Medium scale vermicomposting

pablo_nh
17 years ago

I generate a lot of compostables, and maybe up to 10 yards of compost in a year. Now I grow hay for my few indoor rabbits, generate lots of weeds, and save shredded leaves (from other people's trash, as well as my yard).

I'm hoping to make a small-scale windrow, wedge, or large bin vermicompost system at home. I say medium scale in the title because it's larger than a few home-style bins- but nothing commercial scale that I need machinery to handle.

Step by step:

1)I ordered 2# worms. I'm told they're bed run, and come closer to 2.5#.

2)set up a small bin. Bought a 32 gallon Rubbermaid, leached out hay with bunny poop in it, loaded in maybe 8" (had a heating issue, have corrected).

3) multiply population. I guess this is vermiculture rather than vermicomposting. I read that more food and managing the population to between 0.5 and 1# per square foot is the way to go.

4)Split beds, repeat 3.

Then we move to an outside/on-the-ground bin. Hoping to use a heated composting core and insulate with Other People's Leaves for the winter (hold back a couple pounds in case I kill them all).

This is the part that's exciting to me. I have an interest in finding ways to use waste heat from composting to do work for me. This year I had a small experiment in accelerating winter-sown hostas in a very simple "hot bed" arrangement (next year I'll expand the experiment and try to start veggies in my compost-powered micro scale greenhouse).

Does anyone have experience with this? I've seen a couple threads on wintering bins outdoors- I'd like to see them thrive in the winter outdoors on a reasonable scale- rather than sort of "making it". My biggest worry right now is managing moisture in the pile.

Any comment or advice is welcome!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting