SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fullofwin

Large scale vermicomposting opinions/advice sought please

fullofwin
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I'll try not to make this too long-winded but.....

I'm a small-scale organic farmer, or rather: hope to be one day, for now I just about produce enough for my family, in South America.

I have access to tonnes of well-rotted horse manure, approx 100 meters cubed I'd guestimate, at the right price (free). I've been adding it directly to the soil but would also like to produce vermicompost. Would this horse manure on its own be enough to keep the worms well fed and happy? (FWIW I've spread the manure then ploughed it under and come back a month later to find lots of the red wigglers in the soil/manure mix). All my kitchen waste goes to our pigs, who help me plough/de-weed/fertilize etc my land.

Initially I thought vermicompost would make a great liquid feed for a drip irrigation system. Does the finished product dissolve readily in water? Obviously filtration would be needed? Is liquid feed the best way to use the end-product, or would spreading a layer on my veg-beds be better?

I've spent quite a few hours researching and found splitsec002 55 gallon plastic barrel flow through system very interesting: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg042040421641.html I hope to have 1-2 acres in production at any one time and have room in my barn to house at least a dozen of these bins. Summer is long and hot here so they'll be a little cooler inside. winter almost never dips below freezing.

A kindly neighbour will donate me some worms, though I'd be surprised of this amounts to more than a few hundred grams initially. I'm obviously going to need the worms to reproduce ASAP to scale up, so would it be wise to start with something smaller than a 55 gallon drum? (I remember reading somewhere during my research that if the population density is too low reproduction rates suffer).

I think that's plenty for now! Many thanks for reading and all thoughts/criticisms/advice are welcomed.

fullofwin

Comments (15)