SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deserthills_gw

Q's moisture, temp and feeding

DesertHills
18 years ago

Hi! Please help

I have a rubbermaid bin (Oscr JR. plan), half-filled with kitchen scraps and covered with moist shredded newspaper. The scraps have been there for two weeks, now they're moldy and unrecognizable. The bin got hot so I just assumed the OM is composting somehow. The top bin itself doesnÂt smell bad, but leachate in the catch bin has a sour odor.

Yesterday, the bin is still hot so I stirred the content to try cool it down. I also placed two covered yogurt tub with ice on opposite ends of the bin. Then I dumped the worms, about 1K, and their bedding on top center. I added more moist shredded newspaper and left them on a shaded area.

This morning, I found 11 dead escapes in the catch bin + leachate. The top bedding is dry so I sprinkled cold water. It seems like thereÂs not much activities inside the bin. A lot of them are just hugging the yogurt tubs.

Sorry for the long rambling intro ... here are the questions:

1) How do I balance/control moisture content in the bin? Should I continue to sprinkle water on the top bedding to prevent drying even if leachate continue to come out?

2) They seem happy with the cold yogurt tub. The tub is sealed, so worms canÂt get in. I'm thinking of replacing the ice daily till summer is over. Is there a reason not to do it??

3) Does the semi-composted OM need to be fully consumed before I can add more kitchen scraps? How long do you think I need to wait before adding more food?

4) Any additional tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Esmé

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz