SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonediggers

My yard pics - Ideas and suggestions, please

bonediggers
17 years ago

We live in east texas on a couple of acres. In the fenced part of the front yard we have some containers with veggie plants and herbs. We're not yard people, though, and by that I mean we don't keep the yard perfectly trimmed, seeded, etc. In fact, we've pretty much neglected it and let it run amok. Lots of leaves have accumulated and for the last couple of days I've been working on getting those raked and hauled off. Under all the leaves there's very little green but there are a few little patches of straggly grass, some weeds and small amounts of moss but not much else. So I think I want to work on the yard a little at a time and I think the first part I want to tackle is to the right of our walkway. Here are pictures that should give yall an idea of what we have. The pictures start to the right of the walkway and go around to the front of the house.

These are some of the oak trees that are just on the other side of the fence. Under the trees and on this side of the fence are a couple of straggly rose bushes and some daffs. The containers you see in the far right corner of the picture have cauliflower growing in them. Notice the piles of leaves!

This part of the yard is to the right of the previous picture. The green containers against the fence have carrots and squash in them and we see more leaves. There's also Carolina Jessamine growing on the fence.

More containers with vegetables against the fence and more leaves!

This is part of the yard right in front of the house. The big dark container has tomatoes in it and of course..there's more leaves!

More of the front right up by the porch... more leaves.

And the last part of the area I'm concerned with right now.

So, we're not talking a huge area but it's not a tiny area, either. I'm going to finish getting the leaves picked up but then what? I'm wondering about some kind of ground cover under the oak trees. What about the rest of the yard, though?

I really want a cottage garden and I'm wondering if I can plant just a small one in this area. The oak leaves are a factor, though. Whatever I do it needs to be something that's fairly easy to keep raked.

Anyway, I'd love any ideas yall might have about this. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022