SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin1916

Regular compost pile with worms ?

robin1916
12 years ago

Greetings!

Years ago I had a worm bin. It was more of a lark to see if I could do it. I could and was successful although my kids did beg me to keep it a secret from their friends for fear of ridicule. Looking back I MAY (not sure but MAY) have had red worms instead of red wrigglers. Just bought them at the local bait shop. Still, whatever they were, they ate up what I gave them.

About the same time (again another lark), I tried a "compost pile" experiment. Just 5 piles that I never turned or anything. Just added certain stuff (parakeet waste, rabbit waste, coffee grounds, just leaves) to each pile. Some piles were better, but they were all successful.

I would like to restart a compost pile and actually use it this time rather than just compare the piles. (I can hear the gasps, "What? She had compost she never actually used it?!")

My main reasons for wanting to have a compost pile now are:

My life is simpler and I have the time (kids are grown).

I have a garden.

We eat a boatload of watermelon (2-3/week) every summer which generates a boatload of rind.

I make a boatload of real lemonade in the summer which generates a boatload of lemon rind (6-9 lemons per 1/2 gal, 1-2 gal/week).

It grates on me to throw all that rind in the trash can.

We have a boatload of leaves from 67 trees on 3/4 of an acre.

Because we generate soooooo much kitchen waste during the summer and have so many leaves I thought, "Why not combine worms with a compost pile? Maybe the worms will help with all that kitchen waste."

Besides having to protect it from garbage scavenging critters and critters that would love to feast on the worms, any reason why I can't combine the two? I thought about just adding the red wrigglers to my garden (how the heck to do THEY know if they're in a bin or not?) but decided I didn't want them composting my mulch in 30 days.

Is that much kitchen waste too much? Would I have to do something, ummm, extra, like actually turn it or something?

Robin in NC

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES