SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin1916

compost bin/pile AND worms

12 years ago

Greetings!

I posted this question over on the worm forum (vermicomposting) but they are either a quiet forum or they are just in shock that I am considering what I am asking about.

I would like to combine the principles of composting with the principles of vermicomposting. I've done each (by themselves) on a lark just to see if I could produce something and my attempts were successful.

The compost piles were just piles of leaves to which I added one thing only to each of the piles to see which did better. I did not turn any pile. Some were better, but they all were successful.

The worm bin had either red worms OR red wrigglers. I bought them at a local bait shop and my vague recollection is that they were bigger than what I'm currently reading about red wrigglers.

I want to start a compost pile because 1) my life is simpler than it used to be and 2) in the summer we have a BOATLOAD of watermelon rind and lemon rind (real lemonade) that it just urks me to throw away and 3) I have a real honest to goodness garden now.

My theory is that the worms might help compost all the kitchen waste (2-3 watermelon rinds a week and 20-60 lemon rinds a week depending on how much lemonade I make.)

I BRIEFLY thought about just adding the red wrigglers to my garden, but a gal on the hosta forum convinced me that was not a good idea AND it occurred to me that I didn't want the worms composting up my mulch.

Besides having to prevent raccoons and possums from digging through the piles for the kitchen scraps and the worms is there anything I should consider and does this seem reasonable to you or more like a mad scientist?

Robin in NC

Comments (4)