SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pablo_nh_gw

Worm observation in compost pile

pablo_nh
17 years ago

The question is often asked here"won't the heat of composting cook my worms?"

The answer is invariably, "They'll crawl away and escape the heat- don't worry".

Well- this week I've made an observation that concerns me just a bit. My active pile is still rockin along in the 120-130F range. I've made a couple of mid-sized additions recently (including a bunch of hotdogs in buns, a big bowl of salad, and a frig. cleanout), which I dug in just a little, and added some browns on top. I also, of course, rearrange pieces of the pile and rotate them to the top. I had a lawn/leaf paper bag on top to keep the top moist (seems to maintain heat nearer the surface as well).

Anyway- twice in the past few days I've found worms at the very top of the pile. I assume that they came from the additions of laeves that serve as thick mulch (put on the garden last fall) and from the rearrangement of the pile (living in cooler parts of the pile). I rescued them, stirring the top a little and finding a few more.

It seems that they needed to crawl UP to get away from the heat. I'm not sure what temps they can survive for longer periods- but they would probably dry out up there. I always assumed they would crawl AWAY- but I guess I gave them no choice.

Anyway- just an observation.

Comments (8)