SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Texas Rose Rustling

denisew
17 years ago

Well, today I became a Texas rose rustler. My dad told me about this rose bush that has been growing in a cemetary in East Texas that was planted on the grave of his neighbor's great-great grandmother who was a Native American. There is no headstone - just the rose that marks her grave. I was fascinated by this and figured if it had been there that long, that I could take some cuttings and hopefully it would grow and I could plant it in my garden.

Today we drove out there and I took 5 cuttings and also pruned back any dead canes to invigorate the plant. I dipped the canes into a powder root stimulator, used a pen to make a hole in the potting soil that I had pre-moistened, stuck them in and firmed the soil around the base. I made sure there were nodes below the soil and each cutting I took was between 7-9 inches long and I buried them halfway. When we got back to my dad's house, I watered the soil thoroughly. When I get them home, I will keep them on the north side of my house until they take root and make sure I give them plenty of TLC.

Okay, now here is my question. Did I do this right and can you give me anymore advice to ensure these cuttings will take root and grow? I know I shouldn't let the soil dry out. What else do I need to do? I thought of posting this at the old garden rose forum, but know many of you here in Texas Gardening grow many varieties of roses and have lots of experience in this area. Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)