SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walkingstick_gw

Rodent in the worm bin

WalkingStick
18 years ago

I was just out to harvest my worm bin and when I stuck my garden trowel in - something came flying out of there! I screamed my head off and saw it run under our tool shed. It was some kind of rodent - mouse - rat - I don't know what.

Should I be concerned about this and the potential of these critters carrying disease to our household? I live in an urban area and though our yard is hardscaped with a lot of brick and concrete - our neighbors on either side have lots that are very overgrown and have fruits trees. So I have seen these rodents often in their yards. Someone told me they were tree rats. I have the worm bin - just outside our kitchen door, because it is the only place on our lot where it won't be in the sun at some point. I really don't want to put the worms in the garage. I can tend to be a little forgetfull and once last year, when we were in the process of moving from our other house to this one, I forgot to feed them and they ran off in search in vittles. I don't want them escaping into our garage. Should I leave well enough alone and keep the worm bin where it is?

It's summer time and the worms love melond rinds so they have been getting a lot of watermelon. Is this what attracted the rodent? If we had a bigger lot and I could put the worm bin farther from the house I wouldn't be so worry - but I'm concerned that our dog door which is easy entry to the house is less than four feet from the worm bin.

Whew - thanks I feel a little calmer now, but any thoughts on this?

Pamela

Comments (5)