SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vernonia_gw

worm experiment in 2 liter bottle

Vernonia
18 years ago

Ok, I decided I am very keen on vermicomposting, but I wanted to conduct an experiment first to see how I felt about having them in the house, and handling them and such. And also to study the native species from my yard in action. because I am highly unlikely to pay for worms :) So while I was weeding the pea patch, I scooped up several worms of varying sizes and varieties, but all in the uppermost layer of the soil. I think there were about 2 dozen. I then used an old 2 liter bottle and poked air holes with a push pin, and drainage holes in the bottom. It is sitting in a butter tub to catch any fluid. I used newspaper bedding, moistened. I added a little soil, so they would not miss home too terribly :) And I have only fed them coffee grounds and cornmeal. They are stored in a seldom used cupboard so they are not disturbed, and are kept dark. It has been 2 weeks. I have no escapees (the holes are too small) and so far I do not think there have been any deaths, and my only complication seems to be that the newspaper has balled up a bit from my turning the bottle to look inside the first week :) I only checked them 2 times during the second week :)

Now come the questions:

How long till they reproduce? what is the gestation period for eggs? will they even attempt it in such a small environment? anything I can do to make their life better?

I would like to keep this going until I see offspring, but if they are shy, then I can let em go sooner :)

I wanted to feel out the whole thing with a small scale project before making any commitment. So far it is cool, the kids like the clear plastic portion so they can see inside.

questions? comments? criticism? suggestions? Thanks in advance.

*wearing an "I love Kelly S." shirt :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner