SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Can A Tomato Plant Revive and Grow New Leaves From Only A Stem?

bonechickchris
15 years ago

Ok, I know this is a wierd question. This year, I did not get to plant as many tomato seeds as I would have liked with my 2 year old in his terrible stage. Since I could not find varieties that I really wanted locally, I bought some heirlooms through the mail. I have received the plants, they are all on the tall, leggy, side,I am sure from being stuck in a greenhouse.

While the people seemed to take great care and time to pack each plant separately, the whole plant rolled in moist newspaper,I am not sure that this was the best way. When I received the plants and unwrapped them, several plants had all their leaves severely wilted, beyond repair. Not from disease or anything, but I think from the leaves laying on the moist paper for several days, it made them wilt. But the stems of the tomato plants are still very stury with no problems. So my question is, is it possible for these tomato plants to grow new leaves from the healty stem, even though there are no leaves currently on the stems? Talking to the lady who sent them to me, she says they will be fine and will sprout out new leaves from the stem. She seemed like as if it was no big deal. So I wanted to know what you guys think since I cannot seem to find anything on this subject. Even if new leaves will sprout, will it take a long time for it to happen, pushing the harvest dates further back? Thanks every one! Christy

Comments (10)