SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixtoll

new tomato plants sprouting from dying stems

sixtoll
6 years ago

I have a floridade tomato plant that i grew from seeds. Everything was growing fine until i started to notice the steams at the bottom starting to turn a bit yellow and when you touched it it did not have the same tomato smell you get when you touch a green stem. There was fruits already on the plant so i just cut back the leaves that were turning brown. The small tomatoes on the vine never grew to its full size and started to ripen. The flower buds that were pollinated never produced a tomato. I left the rest of my tomatoes to ripen on the vine. When they turned a nice red i started to pick them off. I was suppose to take the plant out but i did not habe the time yet. All the leaves started to turn brown and dry. I was suppose to pull them out when i noticed that there was new growth from the "elbow" (where the suckers comeout) of the discolored stems. I started to feed the tomato plants again and they are growing. My question is has anybody experienced this? Im so confused this is the first time ive grown tomatoes so i wanted to reach out if there are some tips i could get what to do. Do i cut it and try to root it out or should i just leave it on the mother plant?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor