SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdawn

planning design for new indoor bin

scarletdawn
12 years ago

hi all! i'm new to vermicomposting but have read wemg and have gone over many designs and suggestions, on this site and around the net. i understand the principles of composting with worms but have some questions regarding my specific situation, mainly concerning space constraints and specific bin design.

i'm embarking on this mission as a way to process kitchen scraps. i have a few potted plants which will benefit from the compost, but i expect to donate most of the compost the worms produce. as such, i'm in no hurry to create a ton of compost, but i hope to eventually be able to compost all of our vegetable scraps, averaging 5 lb/ week. according to wemg, a 1'x2'x3' bin should do the job, but i have read some conflicting information. does anybody have insight on what size/shape bin would be best to handle this volume?

i live in a 3rd floor apartment in chicago with no porch or balcony so i'll either be keeping the bin in the kitchen or living room. because the bin will be visible all of the time, i hope to assemble a wooden box, which presents a few questions:

1. what type of wood is best for construction? i would like to use something economical as well as okay to look at.

2. what would be best to finish the wood to prevent rotting on the inside without hurting the worms?

3. would leaking out the bottom of the box be any concern?

since i have no immediate access to the outdoors (and since i doubt i could even move an empty 6 cu. ft. bin down two flights of stairs), the bin will be entirely confined to my apartment. does anybody have experience keeping the entire system indoors all the time, even during harvesting? i think it may be best to set up some type of lateral movement worm bin to keep the harvesting as tidy and easy as possible, but this obviously will decrease the amount i can compost by half, unless there is a system in place or that i can develop in which the divider can be moved, increasing/decreasing the active composting area. any thoughts on whether that would work? or should i go for a stacking system?

i'm intrigued by the flow-through designs but they seem, maybe, a bit advanced. i feel like i should get comfortable with a simpler bin before moving up to a flow-through.

i'm very excited about this project, just need some guidance from skilled vets :)

thanks!

-scarlet

Comments (5)