SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
romandub_gw

Need Help Correcting Last Year's Mistakes

romandub
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I am very much a novice gardener and need some advice on how to correct some mistakes I made last year when I put in my beds at our weekend place (located about 100 miles northwest of Austin.) It was the first time I ever put in landscaping myself. We have clay soil out there. I planted all native and drought resistant plants, and for the most part, things worked out OK, but I did make several mistakes that I would like to correct.

1. I read conflicting advice on whether or not to amend the soil. I opted for the "no need to amend if you plant natives." Well, I think that may have been a mistake, as I think some of my plants need better drained soil than we have. Is there any way to fix that problem now?

2. I placed a number of my plants waaaay too close together and once they grew, they are too cramped so I need to move them and replant them. Is there a particular process or steps to take to replanting?

3. Additionally, one section of my bed slopes downward and I think retains too much water. How to fix that?

3. I cut some of the plants back in January, and now I am wondering how I will know if they survived the winter. When should they be showing signs of life?

4. We planted a Texas Mountain Laurel tree. Part of it looks healthy and has blooms, but a section has yellow leaves. What could be causingg that?

I know these are really basic questions that show how little I know about gardening, so I appreciate everyone's patience and willingness to share their knowledge and expertise. Thank you so much!

Comments (7)