SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

5-Gallon Bucket Worm Composter Try

17 years ago

I went to a university-sponsored lecture/hands-on class this evening to learn about making worm compost bins. We constructed 8 out of plastic tubs to be given away to the lucky folks that had their names pulled from a hat. I wasn't so lucky, but as I was helping the bin creation process it hit me that I have some 5 gallon buckets with lids sitting in my garage doing nothing. One of the attendees very familiar with worm composting generously brought in a tub of red wigglers and gave them out to everyone else that attended.

So after I got home with my cup of worms I used two plastic buckets, one of which leaked anyway and drilled holes in this top bucket for the worms to live in. Has anyone used a similar bin with their worms? How did it turn out?

There's an indeterminate amount of leftover takeout Indian food in my refrigerator (chicken tika masala). If I separate the chicken and just give the worms rice and sauce (it's mild), can these guys handle it? Otherwise I am lacking on the organics for these guys to chew and odn't have much to start them with other than coffee grinds that they are munching on now.

Comments (22)