SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_yan

5-gallon-bucket X worm inn -- call it an F1 hybrid

mr_yan
12 years ago

So I got a little board yesterday while my daughter was napping I also had some scrap bits laying around. That tends to be a good combination for a project to happen.

Well I built a small worm inn style drawstring bag which I affixed to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

A few weeks ago equinoxequinox asked how I built my worm inn knock off. Well it is really just a drawstring bag with hanging loops. Someone put a lot of time into making and marketing the real one so I don't feel totally right in telling the public how I reverse engineered it from a few photos. But if you know how to sew and think some things through it is rather easy to do.

Anyway for this one I made a nylon tube which reduces a little to a drawstring closure. The other end of the tube I then sliced into 1" wide 4" long ribbons.

I then took a 5 gallon bucket and cut the bottom out (rotozip bit in a dremal worked really well for this) and drilled 5/16" holes 1" up from the bottom and spaced 1" on center all the way around the bottom of the bucket - this bucket was 33" in circumference at the bottom.

I slid the sliced nylon tube over the bucket end with the holes in it and passed each ribbon through a hole. Each of these ribbons was folded down and then sewn back to the nylon tube.

The top of the bucket is then sealed with a bonnet to trap fruit flies.

I filled it with the contents of a small bin I've had going plus several handfulls from my large bin hanging next to it.

Yes it is a little small but the improved FT air flow might counter act some of those problems.

It's an experiment. We'll see how it works.

Comments (7)