SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccvacation

Latin worm names and descriptions

CCvacation
11 years ago

Hey, worm folk! I've been doing loads of research, and about to buy worms for my empty bin. I'd like experienced worm grower's feedback on my findings, pointing out any errors to my extrapolations.

Please be kind, and here goes...

Four species to consider:

1) Eisenia fetida (popular #1 composting pick)
Common names-The Tiger worm, the Brandling worm, red worm, red wriggler
Pros- composting machine, easily available, reproduces fast
Cons- tiny, so not a good fishing worm, won't survive cold conditions well, reproduction cut in half if mixed with E. andrei, as it often is, by growers that sell to us.

2) Eisenia hortensis (popular #1 fishing pick)
Common names- European night crawler, super red worm, the Bluenose worm, Dendobaena or Dendrobaena veneta (this is believed to be its original name before some scientists changed it, but there is lots of contention around this)
Pros- easily available, great fishing worm, extras will thrive in cold climates in garden, worm is still small enough to fit through screen on composter farms
Cons- need wetter conditions then E. fetida, slower to compost and reproduce then E. fetida,

3) Eisenia andrei (#1 researchers compost pick)
common names- The Redworm, aka the red wiggler and the Brandling worm.
Pros- faster breeder and composter than E. fetida
Cons- small for fishing, hard to find, often mixed in with E. fetida but the cocoons are not viable from a mixed breeding, so that slows the reproduction rate down by half. (research at http://webs.uvigo.es/avelando/pdfs_archivos/Eisenias.pdf )

4) Lumbricus rubellus. (popular growers pick for outside compost piles)
common name- Litter (Red) Worm, angle worm, leaf worm, red wiggler, red worm, Marsh Worm, (European) earthworm
pros- can be cultivated inside, and is a good composter as well as upper soil burrower, is good for cold climate gardens. Great fishing worm.
Cons- they are too good at composting and surviving, called an invasive species because they have the audacity of thriving at the expense of picky plant species that can't live on composted soil. Because of this bad label, sellers don't admit to its Latin name, and Is often sold for bait anyhow.

Comments (15)