SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fagopher

Another newbie question...

fagopher
15 years ago

First of all, I am new to this forum and to vermi-composting... I got interested in this because it does not make much sense to me that we need to throw all the food scraps from my home... (at least that is my excuse :) )

I have been reading a bit about it and also found this forum, and I hope you don't mind if I ask silly questions here..

I just bought the Gusanito worm factory (5 trays) and 2 pounds of worms. I received the WF but not yet the worms... I am guessing they want to be sure I have everything ready when the worms get here...

As I think you all know the instructions are not very well detailed. It says I need to soak in water the coconut coir... how long before I get the worms? can I do this the same day I get the worms?

Also, I bought the 5 tray to ensure I get enough space later on... but after reading the instructions, would I ever need the 5 trays at all? I mean I can always take the bottom tray when they migrate to the upper levels .. so .. 2 or 3 would be good enough? what I am missing here?

And my last question for now is.. I need to keep it outside on a shaded area (I cannot dream my wife letting it be inside :) ).. I have night visitors that dig holes in my yard looking for bugs (I am pretty sure an opossum). Am I risking the worms and the GWF leaving it outside for creatures coming looking for something to eat?

Thanks for your help

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting