SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geg5150

Newbie -- Am I doing ok?

geg5150
13 years ago

Hi y'all!

I'm a brand new vermicomposter living in Chicago. I live in a small apartment in the city, but I've managed to find the perfect space for my worms under my sink in a tupperware container. I may move it outside to the balcony when it gets warmer. It's only been 10-12 days and I think everything is going well. The bin smells like nice moist earth and I've checked a few times and the worms are still hanging in there and the food waste seems to be getting eaten.

I really just want to make sure I'm doing this right to make sure that I continue down the right path or adjust where needed. Here's what we have: A big tupperwear container probaby 2.5 ft long, 1.5 ft wide and 2 feet deep. The bottom layer is shredded and damped newspaper for bedding, a layer of food waste, a layer of worms, then another later of food waste and another layer of worms. On top is another layer of shredded, damped newspaper. The whole think is only about four inches deep.

Today was the first day that I added more food waste. I've been saving it for 7-10 days. I made a hole in a corner and burying about 1-2 cups of waste.

I also should note that I'm not a gardener (yet!). We plan to start a few small containers on the balcony in the spring and I'm excited!

Any suggestions or guidance that you can offer?

Thanks in advance!

Geg

Comments (6)