SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
balalaikagap

Looking into vermicomposting, some questions

balalaikagap
16 years ago

I'd like to start vermicomposting this season. I have a small yard and garden, and I live alone so I don't make a ton of food waste, but I do want to put it to the best possible use. I do eat lots & lots of fruit & veggies, so I think I could support a small worm bin.

I've lived at a house with a standard compost bin before (and was pretty unimpressed with the results, but we didn't really know what we were doing), but I've never done or learned anything about vermicomposting. I'm not sure exactly where to start.

I've looked into commercial bins for this and I can afford the less expensive ones. I see that many of you advocate building your own bin, but I have to stress here that I am not all that handy. I would have no idea where to begin with building one. Does anyone have a suggestion for what would be the best route to take?

Also, an important note - I am in Illinois, Zone 5, and we get harsh winters. We have long stretches well below freezing and sometimes even below zero. Would this kill outdoor worms? I have a garage but it's not heated, and my house is very small with no basement - I don't think there's really a place for a worm bin indoors. Do I have viable options for an outdoor bin in my zone?

I'd also appreciate any other tips you might have for a newbie - I'm sure there are things I wouldn't even know to ask.

Thanks!

Comments (9)