SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumiebear

Heated worm bin

plumiebear
14 years ago

Let me start with the credits:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0413312414926.html

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/winter-composting/winter-worm-bin-heating-a-novel-and-festive-approach/

These articles/instructions started me thinking about this bin. I don't really *need* a heated bin in my climate. I wanted to see if warmer bin temps really make much difference to the worms. Will they process food more quickly and will they reproduce more quickly? The main practical goal for this bin is to raise additional worms to help populate a larger flow through in 2-3 mos. I will not harvest the vermicompost. The entire contents will be dumped into my next flow through.

I started with a typical storage container: 18"x13"x16" (~15 gal.) I drilled a series of 3/4" holes about 1" from the bottom.

I sprinkled a thin layer of coir, added a sheet of cardboard & backfilled with more coir. The purpose of these is to soak up leachate.

Next is a layer of rock with most of an 18 ft. rope light coiled on top. I also routed the rope light through 2 holes near the top of the bin. Although I've not had problems with wandering worms, I figured I'd use the extra rope length as a light deterrent for any worms that might consider exploring. I then add more rock to partly cover the rope light and cover the vent holes. I think the density of these rocks will block most of the air flow. Kelly's instructions specified packing foam, which would have provided more air flow. I don't want to risk melting those, so I used rocks. Larger rocks would have been better, but this is what I had on hand.

I tested the rope light for an hour. The air temp inside the empty bin went from 60 to 69F. The rope light was warm, but I could comfortably hold it in my hand.

I lined the bin above the false floor with weed block cloth and put a layer of manure compost (a gallons worth) at the bottom. This is dense enough to block the light and has decayed to the point where the worms probably won't be interested in it. On top of this I put a gallons worth of pre-rot mush, then I dug up my in-garden worm trench and put in a final gallon of material (worms & compost). There may be too much food in there for the small squirm, so I'll probably need to add worms later. Lastly, I put a thick layer of damp leaves.

Here are the temperature readings (F) for the first few hours the light was on.

6 pm: compost 55, air 58

8 pm: compost 62, air 59

11 pm: compost 75, air 60

I didn't want to risk keeping the light on through the night. Slightly surprisingly, the readings at 8 am this morning were: compost 77, air 56. I guess heat from decomposition kept things going. I checked a few random spots and the range was 65-75. Later today I will set a timer to turn the rope light on 7pm-1am and then again 3am-8am. I'll see how that works.

Andrew

Comments (23)