SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

April 12th San Antonio Swap

natvtxn
16 years ago

Sylvia has graciously allowed me to use part of her swap info. Thanks girl!!!

Pavillion #1 has about 10 large tables and benches. Again this time will be pot luck.

The main theme for the FW Swaps, I guess, is...

enjoy the company of other gardeners, keep things loose, & have fun.

We all bring our extra plants, plus any garden-related stuff like arts/crafts, baskets, buckets, pots, homemade jams/jellies/breads/etc.

Pre-trades are good, since you know you'll be getting something you want, & you know your stuff is getting a new home.

You can swap anything for anything, no "rules" about seed-for-seed, plant-for-plant, etc;

as long as the gardeners agree, there you go.

You can swap a Ferrari for a package of tomato seeds if you want (or a cow for a package of magic beans)!

Just post what you have & what you want, & people can reply with offers;

once both gardeners agree, you in bidness!

Put your pre-trades for each person in a box with that person's name on it & jot down on the label or box what you are to get from that person.

If you have room in your vehicle, it's good to bring a cart or little red wagon.

Loose comfy clothing, comfy shoes, a hat, maybe a sweater, water, hand lotion or sun block, newspapers for packing, Sharpies, notebook, camera, labels, etc are all good things to have on hand "just in case".

Even if you don't have much extra garden material yet, cookies & brownies go over very well, & don't worry about even-steven trades:

many of us have been doing this for several years, & we *always* have tons of plants that we'll trade for a token or even "free to good home".

(Even if you've only decided to start a garden on Friday night, by Saturday afternoon, you can start working on your garden!)

We also bring fun stuff for a prize drawing;

Comments (51)

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This will be at pavillion #1 @ MacArthur Park. Pavillion #1 is the one you will be looking at as you drive in.
    The park is on NE Loop 410, between Starcrest and Nacogdoches.
    We can begin setting up at 9:00 a.m.

• corona9
    16 years ago

OK Thanks. Will try to make it. I've signed up for the Master Gardener class and we might be meeting on that date.

• Related Discussions

San Antonio Plant Swap April 6, 2013

Q

Comments (4)
    9 am to around noon, I'll be there by 8am to make sure we get the pavilion.
    ...See More

sa swap plant list

Q

Comments (51)
    RoseTx, I'll have you some loofa (complete with the sponge) and also the cypress vine plants., I'd love to try your yellow bulbine and the yellow iris too if they are still available. I love yellow blooms! I'll be at the park early. I also have to leave early and won't be able to stay for lunch (I'm sure I'll regret this!!!). We've a prior commitment for a 'b'day party at 3:00 in the afternoon. I must get home for rest, shower & change before on to the party. See you Saturday. Sheila :)
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap, Saturday, April 9, 2016, Rogiers Park

Q

Comments (153)
    Patty dear, there were only enough rainlilies for me. I think they're pink. Okay, actually, there are lots & I'll set ya some aside when I plant them. He says they grow like crazy. Keep an eye on that Matthew guy--he's got some amazing stuff. He likes roses & citrus & natives. Ditto on the salvias. I have another incredible looking one from Tash (Lovesblooms) that you, et. al., need--S. clarea turkestanica, I think. Grows up to a really majestic size with an astonishing bloom stalk. Threw lots of babies that are coming up now. Meant to dig a bunch but these past couple of months got ridiculously busy & I barely even made it to bring what I'd promised. Thank you for the tip re. washing the blinds first. I don't recall for sure, but I likely stuck that oxalis in with some stuff I took to Ragna's house last time--asked for or not--you know I do that sort of thing. I will see that you get some fer sure, because it's obviously so necessary to your happiness. I didn't think a person could kill oxalis, but I've done very well with that beautiful thing & am ashamed. I see a couple of pitiful leaves poking up, though, so there's hope.
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap, Saturday, April 11 , 2020

Q

Comments (81)
    From Mizan: "Mike has just got off talking to the mosque administrator concerning the plant swap gathering. "They concluded that we should heed the latest recommendation of “less than 10 people” guide line. Therefore we should cancel it for now and postpone it till later in the fall? Or when it is declared safer? We are still welcome to use the facility as future swaps venue during safer times." Thank you Mizan and Mike for everything you've done, and will keep doing, to facilitate the swap.
    ...See More
  • sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

& a chair!

what a dork I am,
    I forgot to say bring a *chair*!

I have a collapsing camp chair that doesn't take much room in the car & it's a lifesaver.

Have fun, all!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sylvi, you did say chair. But I left that out. This facility has hugh 8 ft. tables with benches and a low wall that is "sitable"....new word?

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Sounds good to me!
    I have 3 Ecuadorian pink brugmansia cuttings happily growing on my counter top. I'm sure one of them is for either Patty or Barbra, which ever one of you two didn't get a cutting at the last swap. BTW Patty that huge potato vine made it back to San Diego this past December with my mil and is growing in their green house.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Michelle you promised it to me, but I will not be able to attend, so trade it for something good. Maybe in the fall you will have another one. Barbra,

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Barbra I'll keep one for you in a pot, I've got plenty!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb, do you want me to bring it home with me?
    LOL, I meant for you to pick up when you have a chance.

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Michelle -

don't pay any attention to Barbra or Kathy.... It was for me !!! Hope to see ya there !

Is anyone going to post their want and have lists ? Would love to have some pre-arranged swaps.

patty

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If my son does not come and get it, I am going to give my greenhouse away. It is two yeas old and has no tears. Encluding racks, but no shelves.
    Dimensions: 10.26'L x 9.30'W x 8'H
    It has a half moon zippered window on the back.

{{gwi:1333743}}

• fortunegardener
    16 years ago

I am not sure if I can make it. I live in Fw, but my daoughter lives in San Antonio, and I will be down there in May.
    Does anyone have double brug, whatever color? I have single yellow and pink cuttings.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have gotten a couple e-mails, so I am bumping this back up.

• michellesg
    16 years ago

I have a total of 4 ecuadorian pink brugs, 1 for Kathy 1 for Barbra, and Kathy did you want one? That'll leave me with 1 left over for whoever wants to trade.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Which Kathy do you mean?
    Yes, I would like one.

• michellesg
    16 years ago

You silly, it's yours. Marin has dibs on the 4th.

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Does anyone need plastic pots ? I have many more than I realized and can bring some to share. Please email me directly instead of answering here.

Anyone going to post have and wants ?

Does anyone have any daylilies they're willing to swap ? Would love to have some other color besides the old fashioned orange. Other lilies would be welcome, too.

patty

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Patty I have a cream daylily I managed to propagate. Small plant baby but when it gets bigger and blooms the blooms are like 6". I can't remember it's name but I'm sure I have it written down somewhere. It's dormant but the big plant and all the babies that I had in pots have survived the mild winter outside just fine, still green!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

HAVES: The double pink Rose of Sharons that I stuck seem to be coming along nicely so I should have several of them, (I remember you wanted one Kathy). I have a pink trumpet vine (will bring more if and when some come up), a tropical Dutchman's pipe vine, lots of soap aloes, a large upright ruffled edge elephant ear or two, grapefruit mint, two small but well rooted Chrysler Imperial roses, more roses if the cuttings take; and no telling what else, but will keep you posted as I pot up what ever comes up.

I wouldn't refuse a fancy dancy iris or day lily if somebody offered me one :-)

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Roselee, I have several colors of Iris. Pale lavendar, plain white, and a deep purple that is so dark it looks black when it first opens. I have day lilies but only the plain jane orange ones. Do you want any of these? I would love a rose of sharon.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Thanks! Sounds great Tammy! Save a deep purple one for me. I'll put your name on a rose of sharon 'budding cutting' right now.

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Thanks, Ragna! I'll be sure to save one for you.

• vanillalotus
    16 years ago

I might be able to attend! I don't have much to trade since I'm still trying to accumulate plants. I might have some things I am willing to give up. Most likely I'll be just bringing some brownies. I do have some seeds that I could start and get going by that date. I might have to work on that day most likely.

• cestbellevie
    16 years ago

Hi Ladies,

Will be bringing cuttings of sugarcane that hubby is potting today as well as some belladonnas that I dug up today. Have some wonderful edible taro that I'm bringing already potted. Will make a dessert out of taro for you ladies to try.

If you ladies have any left, I would love to get some 2 or 5 gallon pots, angels trumpet, irises, cannas and cactus for the hubby.

See you there. Marin

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Marin, do you want a purple cactus? Thorns and all? It really gets colorful in the winter, but is fully armed.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Vanilla, I hope you can come. Take the term of 'swap' loosely. It's a great excuse to get-to-gether. Oh we swap, but are also happy just give stuff away while chomping down brownies.

• trsinc
    16 years ago

cestbellevie , I will bring a couple of each iris I have. Lavendar, white, deep purple (black). Have promised two people the black ones already. Don't have many more.

I have taken cuttings of ice plant, perennial dianthus, jerusalem sage, damianita, lemon verbena, blackfoot daisy, and I can't remember what else right now. I cannot guarantee that all will wind up at the swap. Hopefully they will all take and survive. I'll just have to wait and see. It's been a long time since I've done this!!

I'm looking forward to this! I'll bring something non-sweet to eat, just don't know what yet.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday my son and I removed the greenhouse . When we took up the old carpet "flooring" there were a LOT of black slugs. Until the last couple years, I never had slugs. I guess they hitched a ride home from some nursery.
    I hope I can remember to check pot bottoms from now on.

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Hi Guys! I am planning on attending as of right now. I had so much fun last fall, that I have to return. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again. I have started a list but will probably add to it. I am just listing stuff from the top of my head right now.

I am looking for the following:
    Super Giant EE
    Upright Ruffled EE
    Black iris
    Ecuadorian brugmansia
    sugar cane
    herbs

Patty, I have some yellow Louisiana iris if you want some.

I have the following that I can think of.

Louisiana iris (yellow)
    Bulbine (yellow)
    Aloe saponaria
    night blooming cereus
    Purple wandering jew
    Jewel of Opar
    Society Garlic
    Canna (red)
    Canna (yellow with orange dots)

See you there!
    Rose

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Rose,I have some ruffled EE and giant ones that aren't upright that I'll bring for you, but they are just small little starts. I gave the big bulbs away earlier in the year. You can save a little start of the yellow canna with red dots for me, if you want.

I'm looking for succulents that will survive outside if anybody has any.

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Roselee, I will save the yellow canna for you, and I also have a blue agave that you can have if you want it.
    Thanks for saving the Upright and Giant EE for me.

I forgot to mention I also have the culinary garlic if anyone is interested. The plants are about a foot high.
    Thanks.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rose! So good to hear from you. Anyone else coming with you?
    I would love some of the culinary garlic.
    I have some birdhouse gourds, cleaned and ready to decorate, (or not), if you want one.
    I also have some of the old fashioned purple bearded iris.
    I am not bringing much. I still have things to plant from moving and don't have many spares.
    I also have a root cutting of an oakleaf hydrangea. I dug it a week ago, so I am not sure whether it will live or not.

Kathy

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Rose I have 1 more pink Ecuadorian Brug if you'd like it.
    ~Michelle

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Kathy, I will take some garlic for you. Beth will probably be going with me. I also invited another friend. He plans to go and take his mother with him. I'll take a birdhouse gourd. I'm not quite sure what I'm taking foodwise yet.
    Michelle, yippee, you have a brug for me. Thanks so much. See you there.

Rose

• chiang
    16 years ago

Hi there.

I will bring these if anyone is interested:

pink Hydrangea
    Purple Fountain Grass
    raspberry Salvia Greggii
    Purple Heart
    purple Katie Petunia
    Liriope
    Asparagus Fern
    a step stone (I'll take a picture and post it later.)

Julie

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

There is another post for the San Antonio swap in case this is the only one you've seen. Please see both of them to get all the information you need and check on all the lists of plants people are bringing.

The other is listed as:

sa swap plant list

* Posted by: natvtxn z8BTX on Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 9:12

Just wanted to mention this and hopefully get two messages back on the first page.

Swap is coming up fast ! List your HAVES and WANTS here -- pre-arranging swaps is very helpful.

Hope to see you there !

patty

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Bumping this up in case anyone wanted to check this thread out again since we have two of them going.

Incidentally, I was trying to root the double pink 'confederate rose' cuttings in soil. Tammy emailed a thread from the Southern Garden Forum saying that they root best in water, so took all the rootless cuttings out of the dirt and put them in water.

Voila, they put out roots! So am bringing them to the swap wrapped in wet paper towels. They are sprouting leaves as well as roots and are ready to be potted.

See ya' there!

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

YIPPEE ! It's almost here !!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes indeed. It looks like we will have great weather this weekend.

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I'll be at the swap, but not sure what I'm bringing so it will have to be a surprise. Will also bring pasta salad, plates & forks.
    See you Saturday!

Beth

• francescohn
    16 years ago

Hi

I just read about the San Antonio Swap meet. I am new to this site and wonder if this swap meet is a one only time event or does it happen more often.

Frances

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are new at this. This is our third swap. Last year we had one in April and one in Oct.
    Please come join us, even if you have nothing to bring. It's as much to visit with other gardeners as it is to swap and eat lunch.

This pic. is from the first swap.

{{gwi:1333744}}

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Julie, I'd love a pink hydrangea plant. My MIL grew them in Houston and they were always so beautiful.

Roselee, I'd like to try one of your Confederate Rose cuttings.

Anyone have scented geraniums?

The plants I bring will be freshly dug & potted or wrapped. I just found this thread last week and had to make a fast trip to Houston......so, I'll be digging today!

This sounds like great fun. Do I need to bring a card table?

Sheila :)

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Kathy, I know you mentioned somewhere that we should bring our own plates/utensils and drinks, but I saw someone volunteer to bring some paper products, and I'll be bringing a few sodas and water.

See you all there for a nice lunch, great conversation, friendly faces, and of course.... lots of unique plants !

patty

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sheila, you probably won't need to bring a table. The pavillion in that picture is different than the one we are using. The one we are using has about 10 very large tables and there are two short walls that could be used to hold plants.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had to use all the tables this time!

There is electricity and a water faucet.

• chiang
    16 years ago

Sheila,

I will bring you the hydrangea.
    I don't think I'll stay for lunch either. I've committed to two of my kids' extracurricular activities that afternoon. Will try to be there early- as soon as I dig up Patty's Greggii :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Looking foreward to seeing you all tomorrow.

BTW, Shiela asked about Rainbow Gardens with a view for a possible visit while in the vicinity. The info is on the 'Calloways closing' thread.

Also some might want to take a stroll around a beautiful spot that is very near MacArthur Park -- Los Patios. A few pictures and info are on the gallery.

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Hey, help me someone.....I tried getting a google map of MacArthur Park and it's showing me a place between 1604 & 410 in the Converse area. My DH will have a fit if I get us lost. Anyone have the physical address of this park? This thread says between StarCrest & Nacadoches on 410. Is the park on the N or S side of 410. I'll be coming in on Hwy 87 (the Victoria Hwy) from east of the city. He volunteered to bring me knowing how easily I get lost in SA. He also wants to go to Acadamy, so that's what really precipitated his kind offer. LOL. Sheila

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope, not the Converse area.
    It is on the north/east side of town. Think of Loop 410 as a clock and the park is at approx 1:00. It is on the north side of 410 and between Starcrest & Nacogdoches. Take the Starcrest exit and stay on the frontage rd. There is construction! There are some stone or concrete pillars at the enrance. IF you miss that entrance, go to the next corner and turn right and IMMEDiately turn right again and there is the 2nd entrance.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

This is the closest thing I could find to a physical address:

"Mac Arthur County Park - Precinct #3
    1611 NE Loop 410
    Facility Reservation Information

Mac Arthur Park is located in Northeast San Antonio on Loop 410 West between Harry Wurzbach and Nacogdoches"

The park is on the north side of 410. When I just now typed 'macarthur park san antonio texas' into google maps I got a map with a listing of things named after Gen. MacArthur. The first listing 'A' is the park. It fronts on 410 East and is bounded on the back by Chisholm Trail.

Sounds like you will be coming from the east and heading west. I think you would take the Starcrest exit (might be able to go one more, but I am sure Starcrest exit will get you on the access road in plenty of time), stay on the access road and you will see it on your right. It is easily visible from the access road. If taking the Starcrest exit you will go down a dip and see the entrance to Los Patios. Just keep going and the next thing you will see is MacArthur Park. Bob and I drove by it this week. Lots of construction in the area, but should be no problems.

Let us know if you need some more help.

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Thx ladies. Sheila

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz